The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
sturgeonpro
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default prime rib

Can anyone tell me how to make prime rib on a ugly drum smoker?
sturgeonpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Get the temps up to 325 or so with charcoal and a little wood of your choice. Season up the prime rib to your taste. I prefer just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Montreal steak seasoning is another good choice, but I would add some salt.

I would turn it ever 45 minutes. Should be done in 2 or 3 hours or when internal hits 125-140 depending on how well done you want it. Let it rest for 15 minutes then slice and serve.

A meat like Prime Rib does not need low and slow. For that matter, I am finding that brisket doesn't either.

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Did a search and found this hope it helps.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41051
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

BTW, let the meat set out and let it come close to room temp but no more than 45 minutes or so before putting on the UDS.

You may have to put the lid on loose to get those temps.

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

A standing rib roast is about the easiest cook there is. (breaking out the checkbook is the hardest part )

On your drum, you can smoke them over medium, low or a rather high temperature bed of coals. The decision of searing is not needed on a drum, as the direct set-up will usually give you a very good color and caramelization. You don't have to be concerned with any collagen to gelatin conversion like you do with a brisket or butt, all you really need to do is watch the final internal temperature.

I prefer to start with a cold bone-in roast, seasoned with salt and pepper or maybe a Canadian steak rub. I put it in a 225 degree pit with the bone down, and cook until the internal is 120 to 125 degrees. I rest 10 minutes or so. I stick them with a remote cable type thermometer after 30 minutes and watch it like a hawk. Sometimes I even have to ramp the cooker temp down if it's coming up to temp too fast.

The low pit temp will insure a very even doneness across each slice and end to end. Sometimes if I hold my mouth right I'll get a little smoke ring too.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Big EL
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Get the temps up to 325 or so with charcoal and a little wood of your choice. Season up the prime rib to your taste. I prefer just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Montreal steak seasoning is another good choice, but I would add some salt.

I would turn it ever 45 minutes. Should be done in 2 or 3 hours or when internal hits 125-140 depending on how well done you want it. Let it rest for 15 minutes then slice and serve.

A meat like Prime Rib does not need low and slow. For that matter, I am finding that brisket doesn't either.
When any of you guy's do thick cuts of meat like pork butt, briskets or other thick cuts of meat, ever use any type of flavored or spiced injections
Big EL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

briskets and butts, yes. I think butts benefit more than brisket. I think Mista injects his briskets.

Unread 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
ibait2fish
Full Fledged Farker

I do 195 to 200 deg...take it to 125..rest..
Old fridge
Busted gas grill
Blows a greasy sax
ibait2fish is offline   Reply With Quote