Question on Minion Method

J

JamesTX

My understanding of the Minion Method is that you have a pile or basket of charcoal that is lit from one side only. As that side burns, it lights the unburned charcoal and provides for an extended burn time. Is this correct?

So, my question is - when I light a chimney of charcoal, it puts off a lot of pretty nasty smoke as it heats up and catches. Using the Minion Method, as the new charcoal heats and lights, is it continually putting out this smoke?

Or is the Minion Method only supposed to be used with lump?

Thanks.

I use the MM using charcoal all de time. I know what your talking about with the heavy smoke but for some reason it's not an issue, that I've noted, contained in a pit. Maybe it's an oxy thing?

It may be that the unlit charcoal is warmed enough to have already released what causes that smoke... Or it may also be that as it lights the new charcoal, the quantity is smaller than you would find in a chimney and you aren't noticing it..

MM works fine with briqs. Load up the ring and dump a lit chimney on top or blast it with a weed burner for 30 seconds. I've used KF, KF Comp, WGC, and Maple leaf briqs without a problem.

My understanding of the Minion Method is that you have a pile or basket of charcoal that is lit from one side only. As that side burns, it lights the unburned charcoal and provides for an extended burn time. Is this correct?

I don't know if thats correct. I think you light the top and allow it to burn down into the basket or pile of coals. Someone told me that it doesn't smoke the same because the hot coals are on the top and the smoke created by new coals burns up as it flows through the lit coals.

what i do and depending how long your cook time is dump 3/4 to a full chimney in the smoker basket and toss about 5-8 maybe more lit ones on top of that and let it do its work.

I don't know if thats correct. I think you light the top and allow it to burn down into the basket or pile of coals. Someone told me that it doesn't smoke the same because the hot coals are on the top and the smoke created by new coals burns up as it flows through the lit coals.

Ahh - top down burning. Yeah, maybe that would be enough to clean it up. Good thinking.

I had several questions about that same "bad charcoal smell/smoke" with my delay start Fire Box design (see pic at left) but it was never an issue as the coals self lit.

In my WSM I load the parimeter of the ring with as much coals need for desired cook time. Then with the center of the ring open, no unlit coals, I dump maybe 3/4 chimney lit coals in that center opening and let it burn outwards. I could go eight hours easily with a medium load.

Top down or side to side. It's only lighting a little at a time. Either works well. My Klose basket has a snake burn and works great.

Back