The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default smoked peppers question

Hey Brethren,

I have a quick question for you. I have some serrano peppers, chili pequins, West Virginia Pea Chilies (btw, BobBrisket, if you love the pequins - and it sounds like you do - grow some of these - they have the same great flavor and heat of the pequin, but are 4-5 times the size) and some other peppers ready to pick.

I usually use the majority of my peppers in salsa rojo (red/traditional salsa). I know I can roast/smoke them (i.e. chipotles), but I'm debating a couple of things:

1. should I smoke the peppers before making the salsa; or
2. should I make the salsa and then smoke the whole batch together?

Advice/opinions appreciated!

Dan

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
leanza
Babbling Farker

I would smoke the peppers independant and then use them as that would provide a contrast in flavors.

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

think I agree - I do a salsa verde that has several ingredients oven roasted (don't have a smoker yet) and some fresh ingredients added later (like cilantro) so I think smoking it all would be overkill (but that, of course, depends on the ingredients).

The smoked serranos should make any salsa memorable
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
jason
Full Fledged Farker

I vote smoke the peppers separate.

You could also roast the tomatoes.

Large Big Green Egg
22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Brinkmann Smoke N Pit
jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Smoke them first. No question.

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
dedmete
Knows what a fatty is.

Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.
dedmete is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmete;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
1001330[/URL]]Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.
Not to sound sarcastic, but you smoke them until they're done. I smoke mine until the skin starts to blister a bit...
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

i'm going to say smoke half the peppers then make the salsa with half smoked and half non smoked. make a small batch with all smoked and you decide which way you like it the bestest.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
NCGuy68
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmete View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.
Smoke/Roast over direct high heat until the skin blisters and gets a nice char color which could almost be black. Usually about 5 -7 minutes turning often. Toss them into a paper bag and let them steam for 10-15 minutes which will loosen the skin. Remove the skin with a knife or your fingers, cut open and scrap out the membrane and seeds. Use in your favorite recipe. CAUTION: Use gloves or don't touch your eyes or face.

Unread 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

My experience is that smoke flavor will travel through most liquids and imbed itself in anything without a tight skin... With that in mind the only advantage to smoking them seperatly is that the strongest smoked flavor will be with the peppers or whatever you smoke, but the juices of the tomato, onion and garlic will carry a lighter smoke flavor throughout.

JM .02 worth...
LFSA RED Thermapen,
And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote