The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default I have to share this comment card

I understand this was not my best chicken ever and I am not even complaining. I just find it funny the different things people score down for when judging.

This is an exact quote from a Judge's comment card

Too shiny very uniform a little dry.

I understand maybe it was not moist and I understand that comment, but to tell me the chicken was too shiny??? Them telling me that tells me I achieved what I wanted, a nice ruby red shiny piece of chicken. Has anyone else ever been scored down for shiny uniform chicken???
Well here are the scores from the judge.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's funny! I got one once that said my skin had perfect bite through skin. Problem is I burnt the skin and turned the pieces in skinless!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Redaero
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yes. I was at the same comp and got "Super bland, Too shiny, jelly looking. Not BBQ'D looking." 546. The rest of the judges seemed to disagree. I just shake my head and keep cookin'.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

I have had people looking at pictures of comp boxes make the comment “What’s the shiny stuff? Can you eat that or is that just for show?”
Maybe you could add some grill marks. :-)

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I received a comment card that said I had too many greens in the box. Got a 6 in appearance. Funny enough they said that I would've gotten a 9 if it weren't for too many greens.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
heinz57
Knows what a fatty is.

My wife and I judged a teen beauty pagent a few years ago with 4 other judges. We narrowed down the girls to 3. When it came time to place a final vote, 2 of the judges said they didn't like one of the girls because she looked "to polished, to perfect" The rest of us just sat there confused. I don't get it. Anytime your dealing with subjective opinions, this is what you get. You just gotta shake your head & laugh it off.

unfortunatly, my wife was one of the judges that thought the girl was too polished. We gave her the crown anyway!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unfortunately, those comment cards serve no purpose for us cooks than to do what we're all doing with this thread... getting a laugh or two out if it. They need to just be scraped by KCBS and save a couple of trees.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Unfortunately, those comment cards serve no purpose for us cooks than to do what we're all doing with this thread... getting a laugh or two out if it. They need to just be scraped by KCBS and save a couple of trees.
So true. I didn't even know they were still being played with.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a comment card this year that has me confused. Just terrific looking wonderful flavor awesome keep up the good work :
The score

And have been told now twice on comment cards that my chicken looks too perfect and looks like shiny plastic.
UGH.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
swamprb

Anyone up for a "Comment Card Wall of Shame"?

We can post the the outrageous/offensive/you name it! Kind of like the "worst turn in box" thread.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
swamprb

One of yesterday's tough judges gives us the once over on PORK:
777 "Looked a little mushy, pulled looked mushy but wasn't, Good job cooking Nice flavor"
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

They probable new you from jersey, real flashy and trashy
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

See what happens when you get carried away with the carnuba and buffing wheel?

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I am prowd to say that of my many 13th place chciken finshes none of them look like shiny plastic pillow puffs. They looked like chicken
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
BogsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

One of my comment cards for ribs this past weekend said "tasted like pot roast." I have to admit that my ribs were bad so I don't have any problem whatsoever with the score they gave me and I'm not here to pick on judges. Just got a chuckle out of it. Pot roast on a stick?
BogsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote