The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
RAYSOR
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber summit 670

I want to purchase a Weber summit 670 and it looks like it has all anyone could want, my question id grease flare ups that try and ruin my meals. I noticed the Weber's have metal grids covering the gas burners which would seem to keep the flare ups, I have a built in Dcs gas pit with the ceramic rods that LOVES to catch anything on fire, any help would be appreciated.
RAYSOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

You just gotta keep it clean. But truly I would recommend the weber 22.5 kettle and a good chimney or get the performer if you want quick start convenience.

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Weber Genesis and they have what they call "flavorizer bars" covering the burners. They really don't flare up that often. For a gasser, Weber is the way to go in my opinion. Use it mainly for steaks and stuff like tri-tip. You don't get the smoke with it, but it is a really good gasser.

Unread 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I've had weber gassers for years and have never had a flare up even with things like Bubba burgers (frozen burger patties) that people always seem to bring to parties I agree that a Weber kettle and a Weber chimney and charcoal will give you better food, but if you are set on a gasser it is hard to go wrong with a Weber.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I am trying to attract bees to my Weber genesis.

Unread 08-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
I am trying to attract bees to my Weber genesis.
Put BBQ Sauce in, on or near your grill and your wish will come true.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker

i have a weber genesis. THe flavorizer bars work ok. Its a good grill as a gasser goes.

I havent used it in nearly 9 months now. It's frequented by squirrels. For about the same money (less even) you'd probably be happier with a Big Green Egg.

When people come over they see the stainless steel they go "oooooH" and then they see I'm cooking on something that resembles the space capsule.

I'm beginning to like the family of squirrels that has taken residence in my poor old weber. I think i'll call them The Pinkertons.

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

i have a weber summit gold 6 burner that has a similar grid configuration covering the burners on the 670. there will be no problem with flare ups as long as you clean it every now and then.

weber makes good equipment and provides excellent customer service. they are cheap, but you get what you pay for.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJimmy View Post
I'm beginning to like the family of squirrels that has taken residence in my poor old weber. I think i'll call them The Pinkertons.
!!! That's funny......

I keep the flare-ups at bay on my kettles by keeping the lid on. It's all about the oxygen. If I have bubba burgers on and the lids off, flame-broiled don't even begin to describe it. If I quickly open, flip and get the lid back on.....flames go away.

Don't know if this works for the gassers, though. I think they're less "air tight", since the vent control isn't how you manage the fire on a gasser.

Honestly....I let my gasser rust away until I ended up giving it away on CL after I started cooking on charoal.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
twisterbret
On the road to being a farker

The only time I get flare ups on my Weber gasser is when I forget to clean that bottom catch(one that slides out). Then the sucker go up fast with some sausage. Silly me.

Unread 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
RAYSOR
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the great info, I feel better about getting the top of the line Weber with the separate smoker box, I have a Klose smoker that I really like for indirect smoking but sometimes the gas is sure easy to fire up and throw something on, thanks again for all your input.
RAYSOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Weber Genesis and I abuse it. Its a great grill and holds temp better than my wifes oven.

The only flair up I ever had was when a bubba burger fell through to the bottom catch pan. It lit up the whole bottom of the grill. The fire then caught to the little drip pan and I had a grease fire threatening the propane tank. I panicked a little and pulled the tank out from the bottom. NO MORE bubba burgers! It looks like this is a common problem (not the gasser's fault).

The grill is a champ, you can't go wrong.

I got a deal on mine from Rainbow Appliances online even after shipping. Check em out and look up coupons.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have a Weber gasser also, just keep the drip pan clean. Flavorizer bars beat the heck out of Lava Rocks..........Just like everything else you own, take care of it and it will.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webers 001.jpg (62.6 KB, 54 views)
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote