The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #76
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker
 
Hugh Jorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Metrolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I just found this. It's just to show you that this is what we think of BBQ in South Carolina. It's not 100% accurate but a pretty good read. I have read or heard most of what he says for the better part of my life. We are not fans of this new fangled stuff some of you are calling BBQ.

http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

Consider that 100% opinion. This is not a referencing source.
__________________
Hot Rod Hog Cookers Association, Charter Member, President
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #77
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The internet. Oh that's a great source. A SC website telling us that anything not cooked like SC says is not BBQ.

Yup, you've convinced me!

If I post excerpts from a couple of books written by others that claim the origins are not what you state, will you accept them as fact?

Since I'm really tired of dealing with this, I'm going to go ahead and admit that you are correct.
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #78
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
zydecopaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
Thanks I'm not in Florida anymore, I'm back in SC now. But if I couldn't be here, I would love to be there.

Zydeco,
Are Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English dictionary not real books? See this is why I think this is a gang up party. You must not have even read what I posted earlier. Seems like you're just jumping on the bandwagon. I have presented facts and their sources.
So I should refer all history questions to a couple of dictionaries? Not a gang up party, and I read the entire thread before posting. If you are going to cite historical references and the best you can come up with is a couple of dictionaries, I would suggest that your argument is pretty weak.

As for the bandwagon, you'll notice that I didn't tell you that your definition was incorrect, but merely asked you to cite reasonable sources. Since you disdain Dictionary.com as current English rather than historical English, let's go back to Websters' and Oxford. Neither of their definitions said anything about BBQ being only pork, and most of your other statements regarding history aren't included there either.

You arguments are weak, as is your logic. Attempting to dodge my request for acceptable historical references beyond a dictionary by accusing me of jumping on the bandwagon is a failing argument. It's clear you are attempting to win this particular argument by wearing us all down with your constant repetition of "I believe it, so it must be so". At this point, it is clear that no amount of other evidence is going to convince you to come off your beliefs; I believe I will go have a beer and read other posts from folks who have something worthwhile to offer.
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #79
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
At this point, it is clear that no amount of other evidence is going to convince you to come off your beliefs; I believe I will go have a beer and read other posts from folks who have something worthwhile to offer.

He wore me down! I'm going to go smoke a brisket, grill some sausages and BBQ a pork butt. I will not be discouraged...after all I'm a member of the BBQ/Grill/Smoking Brethren!
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #80
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker
 
Hugh Jorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Metrolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Barbacoa was made with cow cheeks BEEF, and goat (Cabrito) in differing regions. It's basically what they had or what was regionally available.
Well if you read the Oxford English dictionary quote instead of glancing it over, you will see that they seem to say that the term is a bastardization of barbacoa since the Arawak indians had an almost identical word that they applied to the rack that they cooked on. The following link leads to a list of words that are attributed as coming from various indigenous American groups but have made their way into the English language.

http://www.askoxford.com/globalengli...ap_02/?view=uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I told a story once of leaving Texas and going into Tennessee and the Carolinas and refusing to eat pork BBQ for the same reason you say Beef is not BBQ. Ignorance and inflexibility. I can say that about myself so please don't get all half-cocked and pissy 'cuz I directed it at you.
Well now you know the truth. But your usage of the term ignorance is wrong because as you can now clearly see, I know what BBQ is and has always been. Also, this is not a theory that I have. It is simply historical fact that anyone who is able to read should be able to understand.

I am sorry if you think I am abrasive, I think it's the other way around. Stick to the facts and don't try to restate what I have posted in different ways until you get the results you want. It wont work as you can disagree with facts all you want. You just can't change them.
__________________
Hot Rod Hog Cookers Association, Charter Member, President
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #81
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #82
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker
 
bbqfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-08
Location: Gibsonburg,Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Uhhh....

bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #83
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker
 
Hugh Jorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Metrolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Okay, I concede the fact that all languages evolve, that is a given. I realize that word meanings change. But this does not change anything that I have stated. I also know that if you go anywhere and order BBQ, you don't know what's going to show up on that plate and that is just wrong in my opinion. I know that most people don't understand that just because you call an SUV a truck it is still just a glorified station wagon.

Why isn't all Brandy Cognac? or all brown whisky Bourbon? or all sparkling wine Champagne? or anything covered in some kinda sauce BBQ? Because it just isn't. And people who REALLY are in the know can accept and understand this.
__________________
Hot Rod Hog Cookers Association, Charter Member, President
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #84
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker
 
Hugh Jorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-09
Location: Metrolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm done with this. It's like my dad saying my cousin was a good boy even after he broke into our house twice. Sometimes even a good man can't bring himself to change the way he thinks about something. Even when presented with the truth.
__________________
Hot Rod Hog Cookers Association, Charter Member, President
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #85
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #86
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
Sometimes even a good man can't bring himself to change the way he thinks about something. Even when presented with the truth.
Finally something many of us can agree with you on.
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #87
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
zydecopaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

So it is clear that those of us who disagree with you are not in the know, and only those that do agree with you can accept and understand this. Yep, there is no point in continuing this conversation, because clearly I am incapable of accepting and understanding this since I am not REALLY in the know. I think I will go back to what I know, what my friends and family love, and that is BBQ. And they don't care that it isn't always pork.
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #88
ABQ
On the road to being a farker
 
ABQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-09
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

What was barbecue before the Carolinas were invented?

I believe barbecue was provided as a method of cooking with an open flame. period. Any meat, any thing.

The pork only thing...I can see where you are coming from, but that is a modern application of the term and geographic specific.

"We are not fans of this new fangled stuff some of you are calling BBQ"


Roasting lamb, deer, elk, buffalo (and any type of beef), turkey, etc. over an open flame qualifies as legitimate barbecue. Nothing new about that.

These barbecue turf wars is something new and dorky if you ask me.

As for Champagne, until South Carolina (maybe they do) has a town called barbecue and exclusive rights, the word barbecue is free to use. I'm just saying...
__________________
Char-Griller Duo grill with side fire box
ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #89
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
So it is clear that those of us who disagree with you are not in the know, and only those that do agree with you can accept and understand this. Yep, there is no point in continuing this conversation, because clearly I am incapable of accepting and understanding this since I am not REALLY in the know. I think I will go back to what I know, what my friends and family love, and that is BBQ. And they don't care that it isn't always pork.
Even though you are an ignorant farker, you are still one of my favorite people.
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #90
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
zydecopaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

By the way, can someone dial up the KCBS and tell them to change their name, or at least stop it with that brisket and chicken stuff!
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brine ignorance. maxwell7 Q-talk 5 01-12-2012 03:44 PM
pardon my ignorance. maxwell7 Q-talk 2 09-26-2011 05:02 PM
Louisiana Tailgate & BBQ Fest/Big Easy BBQ Challenge nikinik Competition BBQ 1 08-20-2009 01:54 PM
Adam Perry Lang(Daisy Mays BBQ NYC) new BBQ cookbook Sledneck Q-talk 0 04-29-2009 05:23 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts