The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competiton BBQ Rib Question

I am entering my first KCBS competition and really it will be my first competition at all. What does a KCBS judge look for in ribs as far as an overall taste. I know about the texture and appearance, but not sure as far as a taste factor goes. I have never tasted Championship BBQ so I have nothing to compare my recipe to. Any advice would be appreciated about what a championship should taste like.
RX2006JE is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

(I'm going to take a seat in the front row for this one...)

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Championship BBQ should..............well..............taste good.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

OK that was too easy. KCBS contests typically like sweet sauces here in Iowa. I can't speak specifically to Alabama. In general, cook what tastes good to you. Remember, the judges are just regular people too. You might consider cooking something that fits your regional taste. In some parts of the country, spicy foods are the norm and in others sweet rules the day.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Nitrofly
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
(I'm going to take a seat in the front row for this one...)

Can I sit next to you for this one too
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
2 WSM more of a good thing
Brinkman offset
Backwoods competitor
Weber Performer
22' weber kettle w/rottiserie
17" table top weber kettle & weber smokey joe.
Nitrofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know that there's a particular taste that will guarantee you success but you almost can't go wrong with something sweet. The term "rib candy" didn't come about by accident. Beyond that, balance of flavors will be one of the the most important factors.
My criteria:
1. Does the flavor get your attention?
2. Is it a nice balance between sweet, spicy, savory, salty...?
3. Does it make you want to take another bite?

Beyond that, it's all subjective. Sorry that doesn't really answer your question but if there was one definitive answer there wouldn't be much point in having a contest.

Edit: I have the text that KCBS gives to the judges packet explaining what they should be looking for and I will post it if you like. The unfortunate thing is that Jim Minion emailed it to me at work and I don't have it right here. I can put it up Monday if that helps.

Unread 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

Candy on a bone
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

That would be helpful Kirk thanks
Mostly what I am used to and like it sweet with some low heat, generally trying to find out what flavor most KCBS judges give the best scores (i.e. teams that consistently place well are they generally using sweet). I am leaning toward Sweet.
RX2006JE is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

I think Kirk's response nailed it... no magic answer but a good balance is key..

Seems you may be using your own rub and not a commerical rub which is fine.. If your proud of what you've come up with, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once to see how it fares. Don't stress out.. If you enjoy the contest, and the ribs don't do so well, there's always next time to try something different or give it another shot and see if it was just at the wrong table that first time out.

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

From judging competitions here in the NE, I find that more often than not the thing that the ribs taste least like is...pork. Balance is the key. Sweet and Spice is the obvious balancing act that most people run into trouble with, but salt is also something else that should be right on. That means actually having some in the rub or sauce. That's one thing I think alot of people forget about.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #11
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

It should not taste like ham, it should not be overly spicey, it should not be a unique new flavor profile.

Each region has it's own flavor profile. Where you are is different than where I am. all the categories require a repetitive experimentation, tweaking as you go to get the flavor profile for your region. When I first thought of competing I thought "Oh, I got this garlicky rub that will knock them dead"....that's not what they want, they want BBQ....middle of the road. Start with your rub, then start tweaking and competing and see where it takes you. Unsure? Get a mass produced rub and tweak with additions, sauces and glazes. Good luck!!!
1 Weber Gold Series Grill
1 WSM
1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I don't know that there's a particular taste that will guarantee you success but you almost can't go wrong with something sweet. The term "rib candy" didn't come about by accident. Beyond that, balance of flavors will be one of the the most important factors.
My criteria:
1. Does the flavor get your attention?
2. Is it a nice balance between sweet, spicy, savory, salty...?
3. Does it make you want to take another bite?
Excellent answer. And remember - ONE BITE. Take on bite and ask yourself do I get all the flavors I want in that bite? If not then more rub or sweet or whatever. If you can eat three of your ribs without your mouth saying spicy and your stomach saying I'm going to ..... then it's not spicy or sweet enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Candy on a bone
1 slab spares trimmed plus 1 lb brown sugar plus butter plus honey then at the end sauce with honey in it. Yes it is sweet but with enough rub it's also tangy. We hate them but neighobrs love them ands sometimes the judges do as well

Unread 08-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2006JE View Post
I am entering my first KCBS competition and really it will be my first competition at all. What does a KCBS judge look for in ribs as far as an overall taste. I know about the texture and appearance, but not sure as far as a taste factor goes. I have never tasted Championship BBQ so I have nothing to compare my recipe to. Any advice would be appreciated about what a championship should taste like.
Super sweet but with enough savory and heat mixed in to balance it. Light smoke, very very tender and juicy helps too.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I stay away from heat completely. I go for candy. I cannot stand our ribs, but the funny thing is when I cook four racks for comp and sell the rest vending people get there order and get back on line. I would look for a really good commercial rub and see what you really like and roll with it. Just remember color plays just as much roll in ribs as flavor

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

All VERY good answers from guys who have been around for a while. Just don't forget you need to taste the meat too. Some times I get so wrapped up in the sweet / tangy thing when blending my rub and sauce...I forget about the meat. Just a thought.