The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First full practice cook

Did my first practice cook this weekend. Learned so much. First rain is not your friend but nothing you can do about it. Poured during the night. I was so focused on not being late that I ended up having all the turn ins done way to early. Need to sort that out better. I'm very happy with the taste of the product but I need to work on the presentation. All in all it was a great experience. Much to learn but that is the fun part.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a shot of the ghetto kookers.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Did you just set up in the back yard for the practice? If so...way to go! That's as close as it gets to a comp as long as you didn't run back into the house to get the apple juice!!!

Do you want an appearance score?

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
bbqstudent
Got Wood.

Looks good to me! I see everyone who posts pics of their setup have banners. Is that a KCBS requirement or just a coincidence?

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
Did you just set up in the back yard for the practice? If so...way to go! That's as close as it gets to a comp as long as you didn't run back into the house to get the apple juice!!!

Do you want an appearance score?
Sure, I'll take scores, criticism, pointers etc. Any input is welcome. I know I have a long way to go with appearance.

Yes it was in the backyard and I never went into the house. Prepped all the meat under the tent, did all the clean up under the ten etc. Even slept in the tent in the rain with kids. Kept a log in case I forgot about something so I could write it down.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstudent View Post
Looks good to me! I see everyone who posts pics of their setup have banners. Is that a KCBS requirement or just a coincidence?
Nope. Just shameless self promotion. Besides it looks cool.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Nice way to get your feet wet.. I did the same several years ago with a full practice run in the yard.. only went in to pinch a loaf on the toilet.

Most importantly hopefully you nailed your timing, felt organized and probably the most important.. that you had a great time with your daughter and kept her involved !!

Anyway - as far as the boxes.. You are correct.. they need some work but we all start somewhere. Hard to tell but looks like you tried parsely on some and green leaf on others. Parsley looks decent.. If you go with green leaf make sure you lay it down evenly and cover the same height on the perimeter.. Don't be afraid to remove the spine of the lettuce for easier manueverability..start with big pieces in your corners and then add in layers in the centers at the 12, 3, 6, 9 o clock positions)

1) Chicken - needs some more darker color.. Skin looks a bit tough like it could have rendered more.

2) Ribs - a bit dark, needs more shine, even cuts

3) The best pork you have is in the center to upper right.. Get more of that !!! Scratch the large chunks of plain white meat from the center and don't make it look like cat food and you'll be OK.

4) brisket - a bit rough on the cuts. dip the slices in your au jus (if you foiled).

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
roxikitties7
Full Fledged Farker

way to go full set up and sleeping in back yard !!!! Little jealous :) ... brisket looks a little dry... and what kind of knife are you slicing with?
roxikitties7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Chicken - First thought was ...niceeeeeeee. Looks good...the parsley added to the appearance. Good color and a pretty shine to them. I give it an 8. Want to make it a 9? Get rid of the bone sticking out of the bottom left one and top right. Maybe a little more uniform in size for all of them. You are real close to high score on these.

Ribs - Good meaty sizes and clean cuts. They look a little dark and I wished they were more even in size but I bet they came from different slices. The piece of lettuce protruding between 2nd and 3rd from the left took away from the overall look. I give it a 6.

Pork - Look good. I like the shine and nice big pieces. I wanted a little better arrangement. It looks like you just dropped it into the box. I score it a 7.

Brisket - By far your best box! Nice arrangement, good color, lots of slices...oh I want to give it a 9 but the top of each slice looks ragged and they are not even...it gets an 8.

Honestly, I wish some of my boxes looked this good.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

It all looks great to me, especially the ribs. How long did it take to prepare everything and get it ready for "judging"?
schellter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

very nice first practice, i'm going to try my first shot at it this friday nite with my new team mates and see how it turns out. nice pics and hope mine turns out as well
thanks
jo jo's pullin pork team
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #12
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Brian- we just did our second cook and timing is tough. We start out feeling rushed, then we end up being ready 10 minutes early by the time we get to pork. It was recommended to have a drink right after each turn-in.
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Work backwards to figure out your timing on each category.
Chicken
12:00 - turn-in
11:45 - select pieces and box
11:00 - final glaze on cooker
10:30 - first sauce on cooker
09:45 - skin side up on cooker
etc

Unread 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing wrong with being done early. Use an extra cooler to get stuff off the smoker and waiting for turn in. That is by far the best thing we have done to get better consistency.

Next time you cook, pull stuff and toss in a cooler to see how efficient your cooler it is.

I am sure you have seen the posts on the benefits of buying a cambro.

Unread 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
dhuffjr
On the road to being a farker

I agree. We start heading for turn ins 7-8 minutes prior if we're ready. If we get all ferclempt about something we then have a few extra minutes.