burnt ends question

ChiTown_Porker

Knows what a fatty is.
do i use the entire point for burnt ends, or only a portion of it? And how long do you usually put the burnt ends back on the smoker for? I'm getting psyched for my all nighter which starts tonight. :biggrin:

As always, thanks for the advice.

I usually split the point from the flat and cook them side by side. When the flat is ready, I wrap it and put it in a cooler. This is when I cube up (no larger than 1 1/2 inches) the full point, add some additional rub, and add just enough sauce to coat the cubes. These then go back on the smoker for a couple of hours.

This is how mine come out....
DSCF2250-1.jpg

yes, use the whole point. i cook point and flat together and seperate once flat is finished. i sprinkle on some more rub and put the point back on for anywhere between 1 and 3+ hours (not that a specific time is a real issue). i consider it done when i'm ready to serve. i take the point off, cube, sauce and serve. i try and shoot for my flat to be done with at least a couple of hours or rest in a cooler so there's almost always time to get the burnt endz done.

burnt endz are pretty adaptable to a variety of cooking methods and virtually impossible to fark-up. Jeff's method above while diffrent from mine is as good a way as any to make burnt endz.

Last edited:
i've only done it once but, i cooked the flat and point together, then wrapped it in a towel and let it rest in a cooler for about an hour. Separated the whole point, and cubed it. then mixed in more rub. put on smoker for about 2 hours, then poured in some sauce, and cooked about an hour longer. they came out pretty good :-D

Just don't over think it and you'll do fine... (We really aren't as smart as we look... LOL) Looking forward to the pron!

I usually split the point from the flat and cook them side by side. When the flat is ready, I wrap it and put it in a cooler. This is when I cube up (no larger than 1 1/2 inches) the full point, add some additional rub, and add just enough sauce to coat the cubes. These then go back on the smoker for a couple of hours.

This is how mine come out....
DSCF2250-1.jpg

Thats a pan full of heaven right there.........I wish I could buy points only just for this purpose.

Take some pron for us and check in during the night if you hit a snag. There's usually someone up late messing around the board. I will probably be on of them. Like Dive said, dont over think it. You'll do just fine.

here is a pre-rub pic and a post-rub. Rub was just salt and pepper, about a 2:1 ratio

i'm gonna let this sit for about 3 hours and then throw it on the WSM for a low and slow at 200-225.

Attachments

• brisket-pre-rub.jpg
    brisket-pre-rub.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 296
  • brisket-post-rub.jpg
    brisket-post-rub.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 296
Last week I did a packer and cubed the point for burnt ends. I added the juices from the foil, a touch of apple juice, some BBQ sauce & some Plow Boys rub and about 20 peeld garlic cloves. I put them back on the UDS for about three hours. They were amazing. The next day we went to a winery to listen to boring hippy chick hairy armpit acoustic stuff with some friends (yuk). I took what was left of the garlic cloves and made an aioli with some mayo and BBQ sauce and made up some brisky sammies and man was it killer. It's the only thing that kept me from loosing my mind at the hippy trippy elitist wine fest. Man I should have brought Budweiser. Sorry no pics so I know it didn't really happen.

Love me some burnt ends. Try the garlic, it rules.

Sigh, why can't anyone just post some pictures on legitimate Burnt ends. I have never seen this here... by anyone.. cept for one guy.. and no one knew it was burnt ends because it was still on the brisket.

Sigh... all mine end up in a large bucket with the fat trimmings... then

Funk, gotta agree. The fabricated burndt ends are still very good but not the original most wonderful in the world morsels of perfection. Most folk will not be cooking enough to get much burndt ends and thus have tried to fabricate something similar. Nothing wrong with the end result though.

Funk, gotta agree. The fabricated burndt ends are still very good but not the original most wonderful in the world morsels of perfection. Most folk will not be cooking enough to get much burndt ends and thus have tried to fabricate something similar. Nothing wrong with the end result though.

Actually you are right... Burnt ends come from a proper brisket. There are very few of those around so it make sense to create them... I like the style above because that style is good for catering finger foods... which true burnt ends are not.

This has given me a great idea for the Epiphany Charity coming in October. I will create burnt ends (for a sandwich) that are as close to the legitimate thing as can be... and without sauce. They will be the Kings of the Burnt End sandwich when I am through. I might even use brisket too.

Fabricated or not, I like burnt ends! As most of the others, I seperate the point when the flat is done. Cube it up, toss it in a bit of sauce and apply more rub... Then into a disposable pan that has holes poked in the bottom to allow grease to drain. Continue to cook until they are where I like 'em. Usually another 3 or so hours.
burnt_ends.jpg

WOW James, now that looks more that wonderful. That is the best I have seen!!! I try to do the same thing, but it looks like you are better at it than me. My only input was about the original burndt ends that were actually thrown away because they were considered tastless overcooked edges of the brisket. Guess that thought was wrong. Anyway, that pic looks soooooo good! Care to share that technique cause I would sure listen.

Actually you are right... Burnt ends come from a proper brisket. There are very few of those around so it make sense to create them... I like the style above because that style is good for catering finger foods... which true burnt ends are not.

This has given me a great idea for the Epiphany Charity coming in October. I will create burnt ends (for a sandwich) that are as close to the legitimate thing as can be... and without sauce. They will be the Kings of the Burnt End sandwich when I am through. I might even use brisket too.

I'm new to the burnt end concept. How are they supposed to look?

Coach, do a search and you will get a lot of good advise and pics. The ones Divemaster and James posted in this tread are both outstanding. Be patient with brother barbefunkoramaque as he is more of a purist. You will learn a lot from him but you have to be open minded and be patient. Lot a great ways to do this tasty morsel so just learn and practice bro.

Back