The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Todds Dirt?

Ok i am curious, i hear people rave about it. what is in it? it just looks very unappealing to me, but it may taste good. i was just curious. it king of looks like fine grass clippings?

TUck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

I heard about it here, and followed up by contacting Todd and have been a fan since my first sampling. I think the link is toddsdirt.com, or send a PM to TheDirtMan here. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed. It is a combo of herbs and spices that compliments just about everything, no chit...
LFSA RED Thermapen,
And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQWildcat View Post
Ok i am curious, i hear people rave about it. what is in it? it just looks very unappealing to me, but it may taste good. i was just curious. it king of looks like fine grass clippings?

TUck
Todd is a good member of this forum. And I believe it's extremely rude to compare his product to grass clippings. It's one thing to question what is in it. It's another to make the comment you did.

This is not what we are about here.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Most dried spices look like grass clippings ... which are far more appealing than dirt.

From what many people here have said, this particular dirt is quite good. I've been tempted to order and should probably find out if Todd ships overseas.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Tick, I'm also a fan of Todd's dirt and prefer it on potatoes and steak. If it is "grass clippings" then I suggest we all start bagging our grass when we mow!

sorry typo I meant to type TUck

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, KCBS - CBJ
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine

Last edited by garyk1398; 07-21-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: typo "with sausage fingers"
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
Skidder
Babbling Farker

It is very good especially on beef. I'm on my 6th bottle. I use it on everything. It's weird because it doesn't taste like it smells. I has a strong oregano smell but when you cook with it, it doesn't. The Dirt Man has a great product and great service.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

I apologize if i offended. I did not mean it to come off that was it was just a comparison, I am not a big fan of spices that have that look for some reason and was just wondering. i did not mean it wasn't a good product in way. Just curious what all spices were in there.

Tuck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

I suspect Todd will tell you exactly what's in there, BBQW ... "a secret blend of herbs and spices" :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
thedirtman
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, I come back from a Camping vacation and we are talking about Dirt. I love it. Larry I appreciate you saying the nice words and defending me. Tuck, I do not take any offense to it. If you really look at it, it looks like something you smoke. I am sure Bo and Skidder will tell you it does become very addicting. I believe I have come out with a truely fantastic product, and there is nothing else like it on the market. I expected it, and do get this reaction all the time. I have tried some of the products that people discuss, and because of that I have found some great rubs out there. I am a HUGE fan of the other Todd's Plowboys. I have promised to not promote my product on this site. I will only say that if you have not tried it , I promise you will not be dissapointed. All of you who are behind it, I really appreciate all the support. I love this site!!!!

I have a new Dirt called Bayou that will be out in the next couple of weeks, that I think most of you will really enjoy.
Todd
"The Dirt Man"

Todd
"The Dirt Man"
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
thedirtman
Full Fledged Farker

There are 14 spices that are in the DIRT. There's Oregeno, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Kosher salt, two kinds of pepper, Calantro, garlic and others. There is NO MSG and its gluten free. It took 15 years to develop this product.

I do ship overseas.
Todd
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Todd is a good member of this forum. And I believe it's extremely rude to compare his product to grass clippings. It's one thing to question what is in it. It's another to make the comment you did.

This is not what we are about here.

the dude named his product "dirt" i think the op is ok here.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you really look at it, it looks like something you smoke.
Wow, man, have you ever done that, dood??? Trippy!

Thanks for the no MSG and no gluten approach! It is rare in the BBQ community to find awareness of people's allergies (and 1 in 4 is gluten sensitive, whether they know it or not). My wife is gluten sensitive, and I am MSG sensitive, which leads us to make a lot of our own foods just because we hate to feel achy and rundown the next day after eating someone else's tenderized (MSG) or gluten-containing food.

I'll support anyone who has that kind of awareness. Got to try your product now.

Unread 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I like Dirt on pork chops and chicken on the grill. I also tried the Crabby Dirt on some grilled scallops the other day and it was very good.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Dirt goes great with almost all vegetables. I especially like it on buttered corn. I also use it on most potato dishes. Last weekend I even added some Dirt to pizza dough with great success.

For meats I usually use Dirt in conjunction with other seasonings. For example, Dirt and Montreal Steak seasoning can really make a rib roast sing.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
luvweber
Got Wood.

I am a huge fan of Todd's Dirt. He is a local guy and I have met him on a few occasions. Not only is the Dirt really good. I use it on everything that I cook and grill. I really like supporting a guy trying to making it this economy. He seems to be doing pretty well. He was written up in a article in the Washington Post. Here is a link to it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062602532.html

Tom
luvweber is offline   Reply With Quote