The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Are Cows Shrinking?

It may just be a Long Island thing, but I have been having a heck of a time find good competition briskets the last few months.

I have been to Restaurant Depot every weekend for the last month and have found a total of 2 whole packers that I could use. Every thing else is 10-12 pounds and the flats are so thin I can see through them (not really but almost).

Granted I prefer briskets that are 16-18 pounds but even 14 would be doable. I finally had to settle for a choice packer today (versus CAB) and trying a flat for the first time in competition.

I may have to get an extra freezer and stockpile in the winter when demand is less!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

"Jetro" in College point, off 20th Ave has a very good selection, I picked up an 18+ LB'r last weekend. They carry all grades.
Swift brand frozen from the plant Cryo-vac'd spares were 1.27Lb case price. Rob is the Meat manager and is a nice guy.

Big Bags of RO lump are 6.67 right now.
(by the front door when you walk in)

When you walk in, go to the counter on the left, ask for a pass -you have to pay cash.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I got a case of packers, Choice or better, at Restaurant Depot in Baltimore last week, 6 briskets in the case, total weight 94 lbs. Nice looking briskets, very minimal trimming at the factory. Only $1.69/lb.

I'm using them at Monmouth next week; hopefully they cook well. :-)

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess its a NYC thing. I get 15-18# packers anytime I go to the Local Supemarket for 1.29 Lb. some times they are on sale at .89 lb. Cyro packed spares .99 - 1.39 depending on if they are frozen or not. I can't tell the difference thecook the same either way.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Jorge

It's dry down here in parts of Texas and other places. Cattle are going to auction sooner that some folks would like. That may be what you are seeing.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #6
SmokeInDaEye

Yeah, may be a local thing. I spent some time tonight with a restaurant owner in the area who cooks a lot of briskets and he said its been tough to get larger ones. Good beef is harder to find up these ways.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

try Melville, we've been buying 16-18 pounders.
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I have had the same problem in the RD in Mt Vernon. Seems that 13 lbs is the biggest we can find. I have also notice a real difference is point to flat ration. The flats are getting smaller and the point getting larger. The point off one of my briskets in Lake Placid was the same size as the flat and probably heavier since it was thicker at some points. I'm thinking of trying my luck at Westside in the Hunts Point Market but thats a real gamble. You can't see what you are getting and without catering there is nothing to do with the small ones. Even practice isn't worth it at that point since your comp meat and practice meat would be apples and oranges.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Westexbbq

Bohemia RD out near me had a bunch 14 and up a week or so ago, got a nice 14 pounder no problemo.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I went to a place in troy NY this weekend to get briskets and I asked the butcher for the two largest he had. He walked out with these two little 9 pounders. He told me they were huge!!! I used and did ok. I cooked high heat and they actually came out very nice.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

The thin flat / big point issue seems to be the way that RD is having their house "Angus" butchered. I picked through 3 cases the other day and they all seemed to be cut in this fashion. IBP's seem to be the most consistent in regards to thicker flats, but the RD here has quit carrying them.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
SmokeInDaEye

I finally found what I thought were 2 decent ones this weekend only to open one and a knife gash halfway through the middle of one of the flat. Ended up grinding most of it for burgers.

Anyone know if BJs sells whole packers or only flats?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Flats only
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I finally found what I thought were 2 decent ones this weekend only to open one and a knife gash halfway through the middle of one of the flat. Ended up grinding most of it for burgers.

Oh that was you I thought is was Thunder I heard over the weekend thanks
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Sam's in KC has the same problem with small briskets and thin flats. I have been able to get 14-16lb packers at a couple of meat markets but for 2x+ Sams price.