The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How do you feel about giving away samples of BBQ at a comp.

How do you cookers feel about the public coming up to you during turn in times and asking for free samples of your BBQ? Is it a problem, or just part of the cook off? Do you expect them to ask you for samples while you are preparing your turn in trays and does this bother you? If you had your choice, would you like to be left along from 11 am to 1:30 pm or, are you expecting the distractions of the public during this time and ready to handle to chores?
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

bring 'em on! we only did two competitions but we had fun with the public both times. no one came right up and asked for samples right off. it just kinda came up in conversation and if we had something around extra we were happy to share a little but i explained that for a competition we really dont cook alot of extra stuff and directed them to the concessions. as far as turn ins, i could see alot of folks asking questions being annoying if you were alone but if you got a few extra members of the team they could intercept the public for you.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

It's never been an issue for us, but I can say that it would annoy me if it was during turn-in time.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

We had a woman come inside our area and take a slice of brisket while we were boxing up our turn in. i dont mind giving samples but that didnt go over to well with us. It doesnt seem to fair to the vendors either. Why buy when you can get it for free.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

whole bunch of feelings about this.

Come talk to me about bbq, show interest, be polite, and use good judgement regarding when to come by(do i look busy??, or simply ask)... do it right, you walk away with a full belly and a beer..

come buy demanding food because u paid an admission fee
or
just lurking around looking for handouts,
or
looking for an unguarded tray
or
asking for 'free samples"...

Do any of this, your gonna have an empty plate.

We have had a person come under our tent, pick up a knife and slice a chunk off our fatty which we had out on our team breakfast table.

a lady took ribs from the cutting board that were waiting to be boxed for turn-in.

a man DEMANDED food because he paid 8 bucks to get in.. then got pissed when I gave him sausage9from our lunch, to shut him up). He wanted brisket or pulled pork. whiuch wasnt even in the cookers yet. So he walks away holding it up screaming 8 bucks and all i get is a f**king sausage. He was ejected from the contest site.

i used to put my trays out after turnin and let folks take it... still do if contests allow it and the food is presentable.

At one contest, i watched as A JUDGE came to my site, and started packing her bag with my leftovers. she had a box of baggies.. she would put her hand in a baggie, and grab a handful of meat, pull the baggie over her hand and close it, put it intoa shopping bag, then get another baggie and do the same thing again. I was so shocked all i could do is watch the trainwreck. She looked at me and continued.. no shame at all. i would expect this from the homeless, not a KCBS judge.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

If the competition allows we'll give out some samples. We just set them in a foil pan for folks to take. We do our turn ins inside the trailer so folks generally don't bother us. In 99% of cases a polite "I'm sorry, I'm busy getting my food ready for the judges" will get a polite response, but there are always folks like the ones that Phil mentioned above. We seem to have less of them in the Midwest, however

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Like Phil said, If people are friendly we will feed them. Pecker heads can take a walk

We have a lot more people interested in how our UDS's work than we do wanting free food. I probably talk to 100 people a comp about the drums. People love the idea that they can go home and build their own cooker.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Send them to the vendors. That is what we pay the large entry fees to do, sell food. We also compete and understand the overwhelming amount of people who come up and help themselves and we brush them away. We tell them it is against policy and we will get dq'd for giving away samples. Please do not give out samples where I am vending (troy NY) Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I have no problem with people being polite and asking questions. I also have no problems letting them know we'll be available to chat after 1:30.

Anybody who reaches INTO our space and puts their hands on our turn-in food is going to draw back a bloody stump and a number of expletives. I have never witnessed this kind of behavior at any comp we've gone to in seven states -- is this a regional thing, were these people raised by wolves?

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There were some folks at Princeton, WI last year that got a little pushy during turn in time and worked their way between Divemaster's tables and mine, and we had to 'assertively' ask them to leave until after turn ins. We did hand out all of our leftover ribs and chicken, but Pimp and I took home the leftover butts and brisket.

We had a lot of really polite folks on Friday that came and talked with us at length, and were truly interested in what we were doing. Had they returned on Saturday they would have been treated very well by our team.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I'm against it. It hurts the vendors. Also might be some health dept. concerns.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Lippy
On the road to being a farker

Not for it. Costs a lot of money to do comps. Not there to feed everybody.
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

People amaze me. The worst is when they use catering as bait to get some food. They will tell you how they have a "wedding" or (my favorite) a "baby shower" coming up. I had one woman come up and tell me that one, I hand her a rib turn around to get her a napkin, turn around, and she is halfway down the row. Now unless you give me a date, and don't appear to be a freeloader, I won't care. But there are too many of those running around. Free food and free t-shirts run the world.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We enjoy sharing our BBQ with the public as long as it doesn't interfere with turn in's and there is no rule at the contest prohibiting it. We generally put all the BBQ that doesn't make the cut for turn in in a large disposable aluminum pan and let them go at it. They appreciate it, we like watching them eat it, and I'm an easy pushover for compliments. It's good for the soul!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
whole bunch of feelings about this.

Come talk to me about bbq, show interest, be polite, and use good judgement regarding when to come by(do i look busy??, or simply ask)... do it right, you walk away with a full belly and a beer..

come buy demanding food because u paid an admission fee
or
just lurking around looking for handouts,
or
looking for an unguarded tray
or
asking for 'free samples"...

Do any of this, your gonna have an empty plate.

Or a poke in Da EYE
Backwoods Chubby
http://sexyslabs.com

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote