ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #16
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Got a question for you.... as dark as that pig got in the final picture, do you think it was overly smoked? Anytime I have ever smoked something to where it got that dark, it was way overboard... just wondering.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #17
TNTdancergirl
Full Fledged Farker

WOW fantastic Penelope looked good all dressed up for the party! Great Job Jeff....I am sure she tasted amazing too!

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice. That Pig looks beautiful
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #19
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats Dive. Looks like it was mission accomplished.

I like the rack idea, looks like it worked well.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUT OF ORDER View Post
wow that is nice man for the first one i only hope my first looks as good as that does,need a new larger cooker and the know how to pull that one off man good lookin grub
Any reason to get another cooker is a good reason!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Fantastic looking pig Jeff!!

I gotta do one of those in the Spicebox on of these days.

Just don't know how big I can go.
My racks are 35" wide, your's are obviously longer than that.

Did you inject with anything?
Rubs?
Coat the skin with anything?
The opening to my Lang is just a little over 44 inches so the rack was 42 inches. I think if you go with a smaller pig you should be able to get it into your Spicebox. You may even be able to go as large by putting it on an angle across the rack...

As for the seasoning, no injections, I did put a heavy coat of Mike Mill's 'Magic Dust' on the inside of the cavity. I also rubbed down the skin with EVOO a couple of times. In fact, I think that may be why she got so dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81 View Post
I have some silly questions.

Is that a plastic table under the pig - if so, did the top warp any with the hot pig on it?

I ask because I have warped one (with hot shoulders on it) and if yours didn't warp, I'm curious how many towels you had under it, etc..

And....did you put any sauce or dip or mop on the finished pig before letting the masses have at it?

That is one tasty looking hawg......
I did lay a double layer of towels on the table to not only protect it, but also to soak up any juices that would have run onto the floor. As you can see, the table was perfect not only because of its size, but also it's height.

As for mopping, no, I just let her 'self baste' so the meat came out very tender and moist. I did find she still had a 1/4" layer of fat just under the skin. I removed this at serving time. I did put out sauce on the side... Interesting thing was that after 120+ people, we only went through about a quart of sauce... Maybe they are learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Got a question for you.... as dark as that pig got in the final picture, do you think it was overly smoked? Anytime I have ever smoked something to where it got that dark, it was way overboard... just wondering.
No, it didn't get over smoked and I think there were two reasons for this: One, I cooked her on the reverse flow Lang so most of the smoke went over the top and two, I left the skin on so that took most of the smoke rather than the meat getting hammered.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Jeff, you da' man.Pigs will tremble at the sound of your name.Very nice job.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #22
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Bravo Jeff, looks amazing....Nice job.
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #23
big brother smoke

Welp you pulled it off, Jeff! I love the color on the hog!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #24
Phesant
Babbling Farker

That pig sure looks good Great job on the pig Jeff.

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Welp you pulled it off, Jeff! I love the color on the hog!
Thanks!

The color was real nice... Unfortunately, the serving photos had a ton of light behind it so it looks darker than it was....

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Unread 07-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #26
Westexbbq

Outstanding,
mighty impressive.
Real nice going.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post

The opening to my Lang is just a little over 44 inches so the rack was 42 inches. I think if you go with a smaller pig you should be able to get it into your Spicebox. You may even be able to go as large by putting it on an angle across the rack...

As for the seasoning, no injections, I did put a heavy coat of Mike Mill's 'Magic Dust' on the inside of the cavity. I also rubbed down the skin with EVOO a couple of times. In fact, I think that may be why she got so dark.
I'll bet if I got a pig without the head that an 80 pounder would fit about right.

The wife and MIL would never stand for seeing one with the head still on
anyways.

I was thinking of doing it butterflied where they cut the ribs off right at the spine
so it lays flat and do it skin side down to protect the meat since my heat is down below.

One thing I have always wondered is, if you do it skin side down, will it get greasy
since the grease has no way of dripping off, unless you poke holes in the skin for drainage.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
. I also rubbed down the skin with EVOO a couple of times. In fact, I think that may be why she got so dark.
What kind of wood did you use?

Did you use any cherry?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
Divemaster

Quote:
I'll bet if I got a pig without the head that an 80 pounder would fit about right.
It might just fit... It depends on how you lay it out. That's one of the reasons I did the rack with chicken wire. If you look close, you can see where I tied her legs to the rack to keep her in a 'presentation position'

Quote:
The wife and MIL would never stand for seeing one with the head still on anyways.
We had a few that wouldn't go near it... Not that they didn't eat it, they just had some one else get the meat for them. Most of the kids thought that the head was 'COOL!!!!'

Quote:
I was thinking of doing it butterflied where they cut the ribs off right at the spine so it lays flat and do it skin side down to protect the meat since my heat is down below.
I'm not a huge fan of the 'Flying Squirrel' position. With it all splayed out like that, you may have a problem fitting it in your cooker... Also, remember that the heat comes off of the plate in my Lang... I had no problems with burning or being over cooked... I think because I had the skin side up, it was able to trap most if not all of the steam created while it cooked and run that back through the meat. The juice literally was bubbling out of the holes made for the probe.

Quote:
One thing I have always wondered is, if you do it skin side down, will it get greasy since the grease has no way of dripping off, unless you poke holes in the skin for drainage.
I think you would have to poke a lot of holes... I got close to 1.5 gallons of grease from this pig. Also, I think that the holes would 'cook closed' and you would have to re-open them or make new ones...

If you go indirect at 250, I would do it skin side up again.

Quote:
What kind of wood did you use?

Did you use any cherry?
Actually, I used a combination of Lump and Shag-Bark Hickory.

Unread 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Congrats on a job well done.
Your pig looks fantastic and I bet you can't wait to do another one.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is online now   Reply With Quote