MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Ten/Eleven Tips for Better July 4th BBQ

Thanks all for the various threads regarding the grilling and barbecue feature on CNN today (http://tinyurl.com/lug3sc).

I was amazed that they not only had that cool picture of me and the family, but included one of my recipes and 8 or so of the ten bbq/grilling tips I came up with the other night upon quick request.

Since I couldn't narrow it down there were actually 11, being seen for the first time ever here with my brethren friends. Funny they dropped the PETA reference when they used the last one! I never thought that one would fly.

1) Light my fire. While countless individuals will fire up their charcoal grills this holiday weekend with a heavy dose of lighter fluid, an inexpensive charcoal chimney and a crumpled sheet of newspaper provides a much more effective starter and your food won’t smell like a burning car engine.
2) Tool time. One of the most effective and multipurpose tools one can have when grilling is a set of long handled tongs. In addition to allowing you to flip those steaks and burgers while remaining safely away from the flames, they’re also useful as a grate cleaner (grasp a ball of tinfoil in the tongs and scrub the grates clean) or to oil the grill (grasp a ball of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil and wipe away).
3) Be one with the grill. The more you use it, the more comfortable you’ll be trying items other than hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. By knowing its hot spots, how temperatures react when you open and close the lid, and other nuances, you’ll be cooking up grilled pizzas and rack of lamb in no time.
4) It’s the bomb. When cooking on a gas grill, bring depth of flavor by wrapping a handful of wood chips (available at most hardware stores and major grocery chains) in a double layer of foil, poking a few holes in the foil, and placing the packet under the grates. The chips will slowly smolder, releasing flavorful smoke from this inexpensive “smoke bomb” while ensuring a quick cleanup.
5) The heat is on. Flare-ups are a natural part of grilling due to the combination of fat and flame. Instead of attempting to douse the fire, take advantage of the heat and flavor it provides, allowing you to create a perfect crust on that steak or burger while keeping the center moist and perfectly cooked.
6) Flipping out. While most people insist on poking, twisting and flipping grilled items every 15 seconds, resist the urge and limit turns to no more than two per side. Meat, fish or poultry that normally stick to the grates will release naturally, while the food will be able to absorb all the great color and flavor the grill has to offer.
7) On the rise. Just because your beautiful steak or pork chops is done grilling doesn’t mean it’s finished cooking. Due to carryover heat, internal temperatures will increase roughly 10 more degrees after being removed from the heat, meaning a medium-rare steak should be pulled at 125-130 degrees rather than the desired 135-140 degrees.
Going against the grain. Finding ways to take tougher cuts of meat over the top is central to the art of grilling and barbecue. But despite having the perfect recipe and the perfect execution, your brisket, flank steak or flat iron steak is still going to taste like a dry, chewy shoe if you don’t slice it across the fibrous grains that run through the meat.
9) The juice is loose. The cooking is complete and now it’s time to eat. Or is it? By letting the meat rest 10 minutes, the internal juices have time to reabsorb rather then flow all over your cutting board. The result will be a more tender and juicy meal.
10) The doctor is in. Create your own “signature” barbecue sauce by adding layers of sweet (fruit juice, fruit preserves, honey, and/or molasses), heat (ground peppers such as chipotle or ancho), and tartness (apple cider vinegar) to your favorite store bought brand.
11) Make PETA proud. Grilling doesn’t have to be an all protein affair. Impress your friends and family by poking several holes into a disposable aluminum pan and throwing in cauliflower florets, sweet potato slices, halved figs or countless other fruits and vegetables along with some olive oil and seasoning. Heat the pan over medium-high heat, tossing the contents periodically until carmelized and tender.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Rick's Tropical Delight

great job! i saw that article on cnn yesterday.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks for the tips
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
cgwaite
Full Fledged Farker

Love the tips! They are all great ones!
cgwaite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Clint that is a great article! You are the pinnacle of media wh0redom!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
JD McGee

Good stuff Clint...thanks!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
big brother smoke