The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #31
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Regardless of whether you agree with the rule or not, there are enough experienced folks here giving you the generally accepted interpretation. Further, it has been proven by many members here that you need not violate that interpretation to win the pork category at a contest. I personally think the way we apply the parting rule is silly but even if it was changed, I wouldn't prepare my pork entry any differently.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #32
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Saying your intent is to subvert the rules with your "interpretation" is going to strike close to home with any team who competes with integrity.
Read the rule I didn't write it. You are arguing your interp of the rule is correct and I understand. I am not going to argue or question your integrity, please do not question mine. I am very honest and do not cheat or personally care what you think. Thanks for your opinions, they are like a holes everyone has one!!!!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I just believe a rule needs to be clear, that all. Good day!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #34
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Re heating is not cooking, putting something back on to achieve a certain internal temp is. Setting the sauce or what ever else people do to their meat after they have pulled it should be legal in my opinion.
Reading that final sentence, I'm having a hard time understanding how that isn't some form of cooking.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #35
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.

Not trying to pick a fight, but finding it hard to see what is hard to interpret here, or unclear.

You need to have some portion of the whole shoulder. The whole thing, butt, or picnic, that weighs over 5 pounds. It has to be cooked as a single piece (not parted). That means whether you start with a picnic, butt or shoulder, you must cook that piece whole from start to finish.

I have heard of folks sort of butterflying the money muscle to allow it to form a bark all around, and as long as it remains a single piece of meat, that seems to keep to the rule. But if you separate it into more than one piece, it's parted. What's unclear about that?

Also, what is all this talk about warming up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that having your meat cooked on time was part of the challenge. Pork pieces will keep at temp for hours coolered anyway, so what reason is there to reheat? My butts are usually done between 9 and 11 AM and stay piping hot in a cooler or cambro (we use Carlisles) for hours after turn-in.

Seems like this rule is crystal clear. What part of it is hard to understand? If I'm "setting my sauce, it's likely on ribs not butt, as I don't sauce butt, or if I do it's after it's pulled. If it's on the ribs, I'm not removing them from the cooker, just removing the lid.

IMHO - If you aren't following the rules, you're breaking them

Back to Brisket.

We separate our before slicing the point, but after it's cooked. Seems a lot easier to do it then than when it's still raw. No parting rule on briskie!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Got an idea about setting the sauce. Take a raw piece of pork and coat it in BBQ sauce, put it on the smoke for 15 minutes to reheat and set the sauce. Remove it and eat it. You tell me if thats cooking!!

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #37
Jorge

Quote:
Got an idea about setting the sauce. Take a raw piece of pork and coat it in BBQ sauce, put it on the smoke for 15 minutes to reheat and set the sauce. Remove it and eat it. You tell me if thats cooking!!
If it isn't cooking, why are you returning the meat AND sauce to the cooker? Why can't the sauce be added on the cutting board?

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #38
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I cook whole packers intact. dont know why I just do.

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #39
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I like to get the sauce hot and let gravity take it course directly on the piece of meat in the smoker to get everything hot as one.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I just think this might not be widely understood.

As careful as I am pulling my pork it allways looses heat (I don't fit in the Cambro ).

Brisket: Separate after cooking...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't

http://www.goodsmokebbq.com
http://www.roccityribfest.com
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party,Backwoods Competitor,Weber 26

Last edited by goodsmokebbq; 06-23-2009 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: added brisket info
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #41
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or

Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.

Not trying to pick a fight, but finding it hard to see what is hard to interpret here, or unclear.

You need to have some portion of the whole shoulder. The whole thing, butt, or picnic, that weighs over 5 pounds. It has to be cooked as a single piece (not parted). That means whether you start with a picnic, butt or shoulder, you must cook that piece whole from start to finish.

I have heard of folks sort of butterflying the money muscle to allow it to form a bark all around, and as long as it remains a single piece of meat, that seems to keep to the rule. But if you separate it into more than one piece, it's parted. What's unclear about that?

Also, what is all this talk about warming up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that having your meat cooked on time was part of the challenge. Pork pieces will keep at temp for hours coolered anyway, so what reason is there to reheat? My butts are usually done between 9 and 11 AM and stay piping hot in a cooler or cambro (we use Carlisles) for hours after turn-in.

Seems like this rule is crystal clear. What part of it is hard to understand? If I'm "setting my sauce, it's likely on ribs not butt, as I don't sauce butt, or if I do it's after it's pulled. If it's on the ribs, I'm not removing them from the cooker, just removing the lid.

IMHO - If you aren't following the rules, you're breaking them

Back to Brisket.

We separate our before slicing the point, but after it's cooked. Seems a lot easier to do it then than when it's still raw. No parting rule on briskie!

Thank you for your interpretation and understanding of this vague rule. You have added many variations of the rule to make it seem to make sense to you. This rule is based on complete interpretation and that is my point. Beside's not parting to cook, the rules sayes nothing else.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #42
Jorge

Quote:
I like to get the sauce hot and let gravity take it course directly on the piece of meat in the smoker to get everything hot as one.
MY interpretation is that if you warmed the sauce in the cooker and applied it to your meat outside of the cooker you'd be legal.

I've got zero problem with someone returning a cubed up point w/sauce etc to a cooker to make burnt ends. The way the rule regarding pork is written, I think you are crossing the line.

To be clear...I AM NOT accusing you of cheating, because I don't believe that is your intent! I do believe that you ARE breaking the applicable rule for pork if this is what you are doing at a comp.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #43
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I've had discussions with folks on this very subject... (Folks that interpret the rules.) If you slice, chunk or pull your pork, you can't put it back in the cooker. No matter what you are saying you are doing to it. As there is no difference in putting it in the smoker or a microwaver to "re-heat"....
Do these folks have names ? What's the reason for this rule in the first place ? Is this one of those rules that came into play because some team was winning a lot and the people who attended the rules meeting were sick of getting beat ?
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #44
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
MY interpretation is that if you warmed the sauce in the cooker and applied it to your meat outside of the cooker you'd be legal.
Isn't that technically cooking / warming the meat (with sauce)?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't

http://www.goodsmokebbq.com
http://www.roccityribfest.com
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party,Backwoods Competitor,Weber 26
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #45
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsmokebbq View Post
Isn't that technically cooking / warming the meat (with sauce)?
I don't believe so, but you are free to make that argument.

Shut up, and cook!!!!