The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

^^^^^^^ I still say yes, I always do it and so does just about every other team I know. I am not cooking it, I am bringing it to temp so it can be enjoyed hot.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Paul. That was very informative.

What I've seen I gather was just warming and setting of sauce. I have seen teams pull and rest butts then dismantle the butt and pick the pieces they want for slicing and sauce and return to the cooker just to set a glaze. That I am gathering would not be illegal as the meat was already cooked. Or am I wrong?

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
^^^^^^^ I still say yes, I always do it and so does just about every other team I know. I am not cooking it, I am bringing it to temp so it can be enjoyed hot.
I agree, just don't want to be doing the wrong thing and one day catch a random DQ because someone noticed or complained.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't

http://www.goodsmokebbq.com
http://www.roccityribfest.com
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party,Backwoods Competitor,Weber 26
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Scottie
Babbling Farker

I've had discussions with folks on this very subject... (Folks that interpret the rules.) If you slice, chunk or pull your pork, you can't put it back in the cooker. No matter what you are saying you are doing to it. As there is no difference in putting it in the smoker or a microwaver to "re-heat"....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

So you are saying you can't reheat it even after its been coolered for hours?

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
Scottie
Babbling Farker

A few years ago there was a big stink about holding containers... I know this subject was brought up. It was illegal then, so unless they have changed their stance and I missed it, you can't do that to pork. But it would be legal to do it to a point from a brisket, just because it doesn't have that "parting" rule...

I think you guys are making this rule grey, when it shouldn't be. As drbbq said, the intent of the rule should be followed. It would sure s*ck if we had to police each other!!! I know I would not enjoy having to turn in someone for doing this...

If you cut the money muscle off and cooler the entire roast and decide to put the rest of the butt in to "re-heat" for 5 more hours... Is that legal? No it's not, so why would it be legal to slice, then re-heat?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Re heating is not cooking, putting something back on to achieve a certain internal temp is. Setting the sauce or what ever else people do to their meat after they have pulled it should be legal in my opinion.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

I find it strange that we can slice a brisket and reheat it yet not a pork butt. As was already stated just using hot sauce could be considered cooking.

I know it would be hard for a rep to come in here and interpet the rule but I find it strange that warming or setting the sauce would be illegal but I can also see how some would consider it cooking.

Someone said that when different techniques become popular that problems may arise in the wording of a rule. I don't know if thats the case but it could be. I just want to make sure I don't cheat....nothing i hate more then liars and cheats.

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #24
Scottie
Babbling Farker

You guys are missing the rule... This is specific for PORK!!!! If you do it, don't be surprised when someone turns you in to the reps...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #25
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I know that it is specifically for pork..... If someone turns a team in for this it would be very ratty and childish. The rule is not clear so it would not be cheating it would be my interpretation of the rule.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted.

That is very unclear imo.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #27
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Sorry for the hijack - back to brisket!!!!!:)

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
I know that it is specifically for pork..... If someone turns a team in for this it would be very ratty and childish. The rule is not clear so it would not be cheating it would be my interpretation of the rule.
Childish? I don't find namecalling terribly mature, nor saying that your "interpretation" should take precedence over the intent of the rule.

A lot of people would like to think that their rationalization is not cheating.
A lot more have no problem whatsoever following the rules and their intent.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #29
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Intent of the rule as per who? You? read the rule as it's written. You have your interp and I have mine. Call me what you want. Looks like I struck close to home!!! The KCBS better take back a lot of trophies over this one.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Intent of the rule as per who? You? read the rule as it's written. You have your interp and I have mine. Call me what you want. Looks like I struck close to home!!! The KCBS better take back a lot of trophies over this one.
Saying your intent is to subvert the rules with your "interpretation" is going to strike close to home with any team who competes with integrity.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote