oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
You are not making your beans from scratch!!
LMAO too.....
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
You are not making your beans from scratch!!

of course.. and to make up the time, Im gonna boil the ribs.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
of course.. and to make up the time, Im gonna boil the ribs.
I heard that the only way to get the ribs tender on those
"designer breed" pigs is to cook them in a pressure cooker.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

read carefully

I feed about that many beans at my church but I am not adding apples.

I have been using 4 inch pans and my recipe was simply 2 cans for every pan of DRAINED 117 ounce cans (#10) of Bushes baked beans, 2 lbs of sugar, cup of Worchestirshire and about 2 cups of sauce. This mixture is cooked 3-4 hours so it reduces a lot.

I do this because my beans are served in cups and cold so someone can make them, portion them and so on and drop in the bag the next day.

I wish to warn I use 4 oz cups so that is small. But heck they are getting a full pound for $8 plus one side and bread. Yes, a pound. I have been making about 170 cups for three pans (6 cans) of beans made this way so double the amount. Well actually maybe less as your adding apples to the bulk. I assume your serving 8 oz portions right.

BY THE WAY I tried that Injection we discussed...... critical man is all I can say.

Quote:
got the 200 person party this weekend..

have to do keris hog apple beans.

side will be some tossed and pasta salads, corn on the cob and the beans.

How many trays is sufficient?

and how many #10 cans is needed for a tray?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I assume your serving 8 oz portions right.

its gonna be self serve as a side dish along with rice and corn on the cob, so I think it will just be a few spoons in the plates next to the brisket.

i hope.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
bbqbull

Good luck Phil!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #22
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

s is usually Everyone is preaching "Low and slow" unless they are talking beans.

Beans can be cooked from dry beans on site. How long does it take to cook your meat? The beans can be cooked during that time----you are not saving time, labor or content. A number 10 can of beans is usually in the 7 dollar range. Dry beans are more cost effective. Do not laugh at beans from scratch
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
BBQchef33

issue is.. I never did from scratch and dont want to risk screwing anything up.

Second issue, i am limited in stovetop space, limited in time, limited in hands. I have to go simple.

third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #24
BBQNUTT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I do a modified version but i put 1 1/2 #10 cans in a full size pan (along with all the other ingredients fills it up) and that serves 50 easily at about 8 oz PP.
4 full pans or 6 #10 cans should set you nicely.

YMMV
If you put your beans in a full size pan, how do you keep them warm? I use the chafing stands with a fullsize pan for steam, and two half size pans for food. Do you just put the fullsize pan on a chafer by itself? If so, how do you keep it from scorching the food without some sort of barrier like water?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
issue is.. I never did from scratch and dont want to risk screwing anything up.

Second issue, i am limited in stovetop space, limited in time, limited in hands. I have to go simple.

third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests.
I agree and scratch is a waste of time when you can make awesome beans from a can. I think beans became traditional BBQ sides because they were easy and cheap.

My mom wouldn't eat beans now, since that is all they ate as kids.... for every meal. Beans and cornbread.... I love both but I can understand where some folks would have an issue.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #26
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQNUTT View Post
If you put your beans in a full size pan, how do you keep them warm? I use the chafing stands with a fullsize pan for steam, and two half size pans for food. Do you just put the fullsize pan on a chafer by itself? If so, how do you keep it from scorching the food without some sort of barrier like water?

I use the half pans for all my sides and for the meats as well when pre-carved. It keeps them manageable and when my wife or kids help me I feel better knowing they wont have too much to handle.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQNUTT View Post
When vending, i'm working out of steam tables.
For catering, you are correct, 2 half pans set in a full pan with water.

I was just using the full pan as a measuring guide.
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
racer_81
Babbling Farker

"third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests."

I realize I'm commenting on this one after the fact, but....Phil - this was what I was thinking as I read through this thread.

Quantity of beans/person really depends on the people - and the beans.

In (most of) Texas, pintos seem to be as popular as regular ol' baked beans (navy beans, right?). I'd bet if you tried to serve pintos up in LawnGuyLand you'd have a lot left over.

Now if you're serving beans to a bunch of guys, I'm guessing you'd serve more per person than if you served the same beans to a bunch of little old church lady bridge club types.

Just my two cents worth.

edit.... By the way, did anybody else think of Jeopardy when reading the subject of this post? "I'd like Beans for 200 Alex"

Last edited by racer_81; 07-05-2009 at 10:55 PM..
racer_81 is offline   Reply With Quote