oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
lfc-montana
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default A Moink attempt...

I haven't 'moinked' yet (is it a verb, too?), but wonder about trying them as a contribution to a large picnic (about 50 people) next month. I've only been reading here for a couple weeks, and will start assembling my UDS this week. Anyway, would Moink Balls made with Kirkland Italian Style meatballs work out, do you think? They are about 1.5 inches in diameter, a little less maybe. A couple posts mentioned dipping them in bbq sauce while cooking...it that the standard process?
lfc-montana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
OUT OF ORDER
Full Fledged Farker

anything premade and yes baste or dip in bbq sauce but i just found some homestyle balls and am about to see the diff in these from the italian you can taste the italian spice but hey the ones i did were better than making the ball myself and way easy and that what the moink is easy good luck
12" homade offset
22 1/2 webber
OUT OF ORDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

That's about the right size. I used some smaller ones from Safeway (< 1") last weekend and the feedback was that they tasted like wedding reception food! (as in ho hum)

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

i made some for my dads birthday party last week. I made about 25 or so. just some walmart meat balls (dont rememeber the brand), wrapped in bacon held together with a toothpick. After smoking for a couple hours, I made a glaze of grape jelly a splash of dijon mustard, a splash of cider vinegar, and a couple shakes of chipotle powder, and tossed the balls in that. They were a big hit . Unfortunately, me and my bros ate every one of them while setting up, before the party even started

so, the moral of the story is, make a bunch
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
lfc-montana
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for those responses. I figure that with about 50 people I would need 150-200 Moink Balls, and I'm not looking forward to hand-rolling that many from scratch!! Maybe I should do a mini-dri-run to test it out. Anybody have a favorite sauce/rub for these? Maybe I wouldn't need much with the Italian flavors already there......
lfc-montana is offline   Reply With Quote