The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default rub help

I made two batches of rub last night for todays dinner. Well, one sucked and the other rocked. I cant seem to figure out what happened. The frist one was somewhat bitter and tasted funny, like a chemical taste. However the other one was nice and tasty.

Here is the recipe for the sucky one. I made using paul kirks book. I followed the instructions exactly but i think something doesnt belong. the second recipe is from his book on pg 73. It is andys rub. Andys was way better than mine and i cant seem to figure out why.

My rub:
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white cane sugar
  • 1/2 cup seasoned salt
  • 1/4 cup celery salt
  • 1/4 cup garlic salt
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1 TBS chili powder/seasoning
  • 1 TBS black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp celery seeds
Andys rub with a lil variation.
  • 1 c white sugar
  • 1/2 c seasoned salt lawrys
  • 3 TBS garlic salt
  • 3 TBS celery salt
  • 2 TBS onion salt
  • 1/3 c paprika
  • 2 TBS black pepper
  • 1 TBS lemon pepper
  • 1 tsp celery seeds ( i did not have ground celery seeds)
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp ground thyme
  • 1/2 tsp ground all spice
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
Andys rub was AWESOME and mine just somehow tasted way funny. I think it is the sage personally.

any one have any ideas of why mine tasted so bad. In no way shape or form am i disrespecting pauls book. I just happened to pick the wrong spices to mix. This rub might be good on chicken or beef but not pork.