The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
joneshill
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Venison shoulder...any ideas

I was thinking about smoking a deer shoulder this weekend. Instead of bacon I was going to wrap in unsalted pork fat and wrap after 2-3 hours. Anyone have a good recipe or any suggestions?
joneshill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Get hold of Roger (Pigman) and get his venison chili recipe. Good stuff.
You should be alright with the pork fat, venison is real lean and I have cooked some, mostly grilled higher temp and kind of fast.

Scott
Backwoods fatboy, onyx oven
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

I heard about a guy cubing the venison shoulder. He would insert chunks of pork fat very similar to the way people insert garlic cloves into meat. The embedded fat would render into the leaner meat and flavor it. Good luck with it.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
joneshill
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisch View Post
Get hold of Roger (Pigman) and get his venison chili recipe. Good stuff.
You should be alright with the pork fat, venison is real lean and I have cooked some, mostly grilled higher temp and kind of fast.

Scott
Yeah, I've always grilled too, I just wanted to try something different. I didn't know if I should use a mop sauce or marinade first or brine?

Unread 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

I always marinade deer. I use Italian dressing, sometimes with Worcestershire sauce. I marinade a long time, too, couple days in the fridge, sometimes three. Have used bacon, would like to try some fresh side bacon sometime. It does need the oil/fat when smoking it. Otherwise it will be dry and hard. If it turns out that way, hours in a crock pot with apple juice in can save it. I don't throw out meat if it can be salvaged, and smoked crock pot deer makes great pulled meat sammies.

Unread 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you come up with a winner let us know. I almost always grill, or grind for sausage. I just don't get out to hunt as much as I'd like in the last several years, but hope to soon. If you come up with a winner, I'd really like to give it a shot to do something different.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
joneshill
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
If you come up with a winner let us know. I almost always grill, or grind for sausage. I just don't get out to hunt as much as I'd like in the last several years, but hope to soon. If you come up with a winner, I'd really like to give it a shot to do something different.

I am scanning several sites for recipes, I have an idea of how I will be doing it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out and I will definately share the recipe if it's good.

Unread 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

we usually jab a knive into it several times and insert garlic cloves. inject with a mixture of orange juice, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar. rub down with spicy season all, or tony ch. or whatever you want and wrap in bacon. smoke it low and slow and the meat turns out buttery.
smokehunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker

The whitetail deer here in Missouri usually don't have enough meat on the shoulders to make it worth cooking them on the smoker. There are a lot of small muscles surrounded by silver skin on the front legs/shoulder area.

Most of my deer hunting friends who butcher their own deer use the meat off the front quarters for making jerky or grind it for burger. I have cooked a lot of venison and the few times I have cooked the front quarters whole, I have not been happy with the results.

If you do decide to cook the shoulder whole, remove it from the smoker when it hits 140ºF for a point just past medium rare. Anything higher than 150º is going to yield a tough and dry product.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
joneshill
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy D Beerman View Post
The whitetail deer here in Missouri usually don't have enough meat on the shoulders to make it worth cooking them on the smoker. There are a lot of small muscles surrounded by silver skin on the front legs/shoulder area.

Most of my deer hunting friends who butcher their own deer use the meat off the front quarters for making jerky or grind it for burger. I have cooked a lot of venison and the few times I have cooked the front quarters whole, I have not been happy with the results.

If you do decide to cook the shoulder whole, remove it from the smoker when it hits 140ºF for a point just past medium rare. Anything higher than 150º is going to yield a tough and dry product.

Lager,

Juggy
I am very worried about it drying out.

Unread 06-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Here are some recipes via Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...s&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.