עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS Mission Statement

I'm starting this thread in earnest so please do not get offended, but please do contribute.

My background: I have cooked only two KCBS events. Both were at the 2007 American Royal, where we cooked the Invitational and the Open. I have however been exposed to much of the KCBS culture and technique here and on other forums as well as many midnight discussions at comps.

Otherwise I cook TGCBCA and IBCA events here in Texas, 34 so far.

While reading through the current Board Resignation thread I saw and read the KCBS mission statement. I had recently been curious about just
that. Or more to the point, HOW does the KCBS help, or hurt BBQ as a national cuisine?

So here it is again

KCBS Mission:

"Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbecue to be recognized as America's Cuisine."

The KCBS see's itself as the nations biggest and best organization for accomplishing the above goals and tends to dominate the discussion as well as the sandbox.

The breakdown:

Does it/can it, fulfill it's mission?

Celebrate: Yes indeed I do believe it does celebrate BBQ. From what I have seen the organization does a wonderful job of it.

Teach: Here is where I get stuck. What is taught? As far as I can tell it teaches an extremely narrow idea of what BBQ is. You competitors and
judges know what I'm talking about.

Preserve: Again I'm stuck. Does it preserve BBQ and all it's regional nuance? Not that I can tell. Does it preserve the past? Again not that I can tell. So if it's not preserving regional BBQ or the past ie: old ways? What does it preserve? As far as I can tell it only preserves the current form of accepted KCBS competiton BBQ.

Promote: Again, yes I think the organization does this well as the size of the club can attest.

Culinary technique, Absolutely!

Sport? OK.

Art form? Again, OK I can live with that.

I'm seeing that it's all becoming a formula rather than teaching and accepting a broad overview of BBQ in the USA, recognizing and
preserving our past, as culinary technique, sport and art form.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't forget the KCBS Roadshow. Mike and Chris Peters do several cooking demos at each contest they travel to. Say what you want, but they get a lot of spectators. There definitely teaching going on there.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Im tired.. and lazy to get to lengthy, so iIn an overly simplifed cliif notes version of my perspective, i think the 'teach, promote, preserve' went down the tubes when they wrapped their arms around BBQt and said its mine mine mine, and you can't use it unless you pay for it. Small entities that would take the baselines KCBS has established and use ti to promote and grow the craft are now strong armed and hesitant to move forward.

They want to teach, promote, preserve, as long as they get paid.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Im tired.. and lazy to get to lengthy, so iIn an overly simplifed cliif notes version of my perspective, i think the 'teach, promote, preserve' went down the tubes when they wrapped their arms around BBQt and said its mine mine mine, and you can't use it unless you pay for it. Small entities that would take the baselines KCBS has established and use ti to promote and grow the craft are now strong armed and hesitant to move forward.

They want to teach, promote, preserve, as long as they get paid.
But like the old saying goes, "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?"

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

ok, but i still think the vison has changed from what it was 6-7 years ago.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
ok, but i still think the vison has changed from what it was 6-7 years ago.
Yes, I think there is some middle ground that needs to be found in the issue you present. They've tried, but it either isn't the right solution or isn't understood.

Unread 06-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Don't forget the KCBS Roadshow. Mike and Chris Peters do several cooking demos at each contest they travel to. Say what you want, but they get a lot of spectators. There definitely teaching going on there.

This is by no means any disrespect to Mike or Chris, as they are employees or vendors of KCBS. But what they are teaching, is that BBQ or a means to an end for getting plugs in for all these new sponsors?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

pooh , I agree with you 100%. as usual.
That is why you wear the blue hat

up until recently, the smaller, outlying orgs were not necessarily embraced by KCBS, but were NEVER out and out threatened and cut off at the knees. Quite different from what is on the "about KCBS' page...

Networking with related trade associations and other contest-sanctioning organizations.
Teaming up with other food organizations and the media to promote barbeque.

But I digress, so... as not to get off topic, I will go back to Zilla's original ideas...

I DO believe that the Kansas City BBQ Society celebrates BBQ...
the members celebrate BBQ whole-heartedly!!!!

When we started, we were taught - by one of the best, and I FIRMLY believe that we were taught the RIGHT way... and this is it...
(thanks again Garry!)

first... have fun! (ALWAYS the number one rule...)
second... cook as well as you possibly can.
third... share what you have learned with others.

If we (the people ) keep doing these things, then I believe we are preserving the original concept... regardless of pellets, garnish, bite-thru skin, or any other phase that runs through and is gone.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with it all becoming a formula, as can be seen by my thread on parsley.

And that, my friend, is a true bummer.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Great subject Zilla!! I will refrain from my thoughts for now, but I think the KCBS is doing part of their mission very well and others not so well. But I will say I have seen improvements of late (1-2 years).
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
DocStl
On the road to being a farker

Man did you open a can of worms! lol

I voiced my opinions at the kcbs banquet as a cook, judge and an organizer. Hense i was not the most popular person there lol

I can write pages on where they need to improve, but I dont want this to be a KCBS slam session either.

Ill throw in a little insght on judges to start.
In order to become a master judge, you need to judge 30 contests within a 3 year period (10 a year) I"ll never make it, and most wont, I guess if you dont do your 10 a year, you dont have the skills to be a master judge?

Have a friend who was certified, but, since he didnt renew his membership one year, He was told He was no longer certified. I didnt know your membership fee kept your certification. Hmm snatched all he learned and His experience right from his head i guess.
At the banquet I brought up that as a cook I would rather have a former certified CBJ judging my contest entry than aunt Martha that the reps plucked from the crowd. Again, didnt fair well lol

Keep in mind that KCBS has grown in leaps and bounds over the last couple years, hopefully they will use some of the contest money they collect to get more people to help the overworked office.

Unread 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Teaching to win? Teaching the turn in tray?
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Its when this:

Needed to change into this:
\

That the organization focus went South of the Mission Statement.

Its all about $$

No more 501c3 charitable organization.

For Profit!

Protect our IP at all costs.

Strong arm local contests.

Thats what I've been reading here, by some of you folks that are the ones doing the competing and organizing.

"As The World Turns" has nothing on this org.

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

I believe that things have gone down hill in the last few years there.
I hope things will inprove and I will renew my membership.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Big George's BBQ

I have not been around thatg long so I have not seen the changes that you are talkijng about. I can say I always have had a good time even Dover a few years ago, met a lot of great people, learned a lot, and have yet to find someone someone who is not willing to help and teach.
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
benjet
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocStl View Post
In order to become a master judge, you need to judge 30 contests within a 3 year period (10 a year) I"ll never make it, and most wont, I guess if you dont do your 10 a year, you dont have the skills to be a master judge?
Just FYI this is no longer true, it's 30 period, no time frame or limit.

It was true at one point, but they changed the rule.
benjet is offline   Reply With Quote