The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Time Comp

I will be competing for the first time this weekend. It is an amature only backyard type competition. The catagories are Ribs, Chicken, and Anything But. Since I have never done this before, I would like to ask for any tips, thought, or opinions anyone might like to share. I think I pretty much have my recipies and timing worked out for the ribs and chicken. For the Anything But category, I think I am going to do some scotch eggs in the smoker...maybe with some Blackberry Chipotle Dipping sauce. The ribs and chicken will be KCBS rules, but I think the Anything But can be presented however. For the sake of simplicity, however, my intention is to do all-parsley boxes for all three entries. For the Scotch Eggs, I will include 6 whole ones(maybe on sticks), and an additional one cut in half so judges will know what they are getting.

Again, I have never done this before, so I am sure there is a lot I have not yet thought about. Thanks in advance.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
stlgreg
Take a breath!

anythign butt - i would do some expensive beef and add some lobster for a surf and turf
judges love that
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Do a practice cook with all categories. As you go into the house for this or that - write down what you use. That way you will be more likely to take what you really need to the comp instead of packing a bunch of stuff most of which is not needed.

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgreg View Post
anythign butt - i would do some expensive beef and add some lobster for a surf and turf
judges love that
I'll bet they do...in this case though, the organizer has defined the anything but catagory as anything but meat...the dish can have meat as an ingredient, but it cannot just be a steak, or salmon fillet, or anything like that.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote