MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Default Table for my Weber 22" OTG

I posted this over at the Virtual Weber Bullet site a couple of days ago. And thanks for looking...:)

Anyway, I'm in the process of turning my brick-top hibachi table which I built last summer into a kettle table.
So, over the weekend I stripped the table down to its frame and started the mod for the 22" kettle.

I expect the table with the kettle in it to be hopefully completed in the next few days and will post more photos of this project as work progresses.

This is what I've accomplished so far:

The original hibachi table

Stripped everything off the table

Added studs for the cement board

Cement board in place

Running ideas with some broken clay tiles

Made cutout for the kettle
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like it's coming along very well. That's some heavy duty framing you got there, should last you a long time!

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nie work! Looks good so far. Can't wait to see it when your done!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

looks like me, and the rest of the brethren could stand on top of that thing. Very nice, cant wait to see the rest of it!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Great start, I look forward to seeing it when you're done. Have you given any thought as to how you are going to handle a hot lid while cooking? I don't see any signs of hooks or other holders yet...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks all. It's been a fun project so far....anything to do with Q'ing is fun!
I used heavy lumber originally for that heavy duty 'rustic' look I was going after, besides, the table needed to be able to handle a load of bricks on top, so I figured some 4x4's and 4x6's should do the trick. :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Have you given any thought as to how you are going to handle a hot lid while cooking? I don't see any signs of hooks or other holders yet...
Yes, I intend to do one of two things. Either mount Weber's Slide-Aside stainless steel lid holder over the left edge of the table or make a simple wooden brace of some sort to simply be able to prop the lid on the edge of the table.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I saw this on TVWBB and wondered the same thing about the lid? (as I was futzing with my WSM lids with my cart)

Looking forward to the finished product.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Great idea

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great, Cant wait to see finished product.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Scraps
Found some matches.

Thgis is looking really good. What are you going yo cover the cement board with?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
smokindorf
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good so far. Keep the pics coming please! John
smokindorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Sweet, can't wait to see the finished product

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

It's looking good so far. Is quarry tile your choice for the finished top? Be sure to make a provision for a soft joint around the perimeter of the tile against the framing; you wont regret it.

Tile and stone is where I've spent the last 30 years.

Ping me if you need any tips.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys! I have a day off tomorrow so I'll continue to work on this project and provide more photos.

My next step is to chop the handles off both sides of the kettle and see how well the kettle fits into the cutout before tiling the board.

Chris: Thanks for that tip on the soft joint around the perimeter. I figured since I won't be grouting between the tiles and the wood frame it shouldn't present a problem? I also figured some greasy gunk will eventually make their way between the tiles and the wood frame providing a natural filler. Do you think that would be sufficient?
I will be using some extra 1/2" quarry tiles I have laying around from a previous tiling job which will match well with my existing outdoor tiles. I intend to break them into chunks.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Thanks guys! I have a day off tomorrow so I'll continue to work on this project and provide more photos.

My next step is to chop the handles off both sides of the kettle and see how well the kettle fits into the cutout before tiling the board.

Chris: Thanks for that tip on the soft joint around the perimeter. I figured since I won't be grouting between the tiles and the wood frame it shouldn't present a problem? I also figured some greasy gunk will eventually make their way between the tiles and the wood frame providing a natural filler. Do you think that would be sufficient?
I will be using some extra 1/2" quarry tiles I have laying around from a previous tiling job which will match well with my existing outdoor tiles. I intend to break them into chunks.

Thanks!
You really need to fill the perimeter joint. That greasy gunk becomes bacteria central, and then it becomes acidic and you'll eventually see rot.

After you lay the tiles, let them set up completely. Then stuff the perimeter joint with some cord or rope before you grout the tiles. When you've done the final clean up the grout, remove the cord. Then caulk it with some good quality silicone.

For this table, I'd spend the few extra dollars and use an epoxy grout. Harder to work with, but it's very resistant to staining and bacteria. It's what they use to grout the floors in commercial kitchens.

Good luck,

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote