拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Parsley... is EVERYONE using it or what?

ok... I understand the pro... it looks great.

But what the hell else is so awesome that it gets you 9's instead of 8's?

Some input from judges would be great, since it seems that sometimes that can be the only reason our box didn't get a 9 in appearance.

So much for the "it's a meat contest".

I think I am one of the last holdouts who simply refuses to go through an entire case of parsley for 4 boxes.

So the question is... IS everyone doing parsley boxes now?

I don't know how to make this a poll...
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

a nice putting green just makes the meat look better, if its all even and nice, you dont look at it, you just look at the meat, but im not a judge!!

Unread 06-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

For us it was/is a matter of elimination. We were trying to improve our appearance scores. And the parsley box kind of eliminated one of the variables. I don’t believe the parsley boxes necessarily look better but they are certainly more consistent. They do not guarantee you 9’s

We don’t do them all the time. But we have turned in more parsley boxes than lettuce this year.

Unread 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I do only parsley boxes. I hate doing them but hate the way lettuce looks. http://bbqilluminati.blogspot.com/20...s-garnish.html
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Exe-que-tioner
On the road to being a farker

We use both lettuce and parsley. First layer in the box is lettuce to give the meat some support, then tightly-twisted bunches of pasley nested tightly into the lettuce.
When I judge a contest, I find myself totally ignoring the garnish, and focusing totally on the meat itself.
I guess we use parsley because it seems like that is what the majority is doing, and that is how we were taught.
Exe-que-tioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

I'm like you Michelle, I can't bring myself to pay for all that parsley. Up in Tryon NC this past weekend I bought 6 heads of green leaf lettuce and that was it. Out of all my appearance scores I got (12) 9's, (10) 8's, and (2) 7's. Honestly I was pretty disappointed with those scores - there was no reason for there to be anything less than a 9 given. I don't mean that in a boastful way, but I am my own toughest critic and know a kick-a$$ box when I see it. It really has me rethinking my presentation for the next 3 KCBS contests I have this summer. If I can find that KCBS-like program that lets you put in score and gives you a total, I'll run it with all 9's for appearance and see what happens. I have a feeling it would have moved me from 5th to RGC.
Sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Michelle, to be honest, we cant seem to make up our minds. Our best boxes are made late Friday nights when we are feeling more "artistic" and anything legal could end up in the boxes.

So my best answer is no, we dont use parsley all the time.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
jbiesinger
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
If I can find that KCBS-like program that lets you put in score and gives you a total, I'll run it with all 9's for appearance and see what happens. I have a feeling it would have moved me from 5th to RGC.
if you know your way around excel spreadsheets its relatively easy to do. Here's the formulas I use:

appearance: =cell*0.5714
taste: =cell*2.2858
texture: =cell*1.1428

I can email you a copy of the one I made its handy to track minor improvements in each score for each meat.

We have been only using green lettuce and making what we thought we fine boxes, but are going to try the parsley bed for our next comp.

I wish I knew more about what judges thought about the appearance of the meat. you hear alot that they don't look at the garnish, and they judge the meat on whether it looks like they want to eat it, but that's pretty subjective.

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiesinger View Post
if you know your way around excel spreadsheets its relatively easy to do. Here's the formulas I use:

appearance: =cell*0.5714
taste: =cell*2.2858
texture: =cell*1.1428

I can email you a copy of the one I made its handy to track minor improvements in each score for each meat.

We have been only using green lettuce and making what we thought we fine boxes, but are going to try the parsley bed for our next comp.

I wish I knew more about what judges thought about the appearance of the meat. you hear alot that they don't look at the garnish, and they judge the meat on whether it looks like they want to eat it, but that's pretty subjective.
Thanks, I just sent the numbers to Sled and he's running them. I found the one I was looking for but my scores came out lower - they must have changed things up a bit since then.
Sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post

So much for the "it's a meat contest".
This is the reason I like the parsley box. It makes it easy to show off the meat... Mostly acts as a bed and when presentation is complete you barely even see much parsley, just a bit around the edges
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

We do all parsley as well. Did lettuce/parsley mix at our first comp and averaged 8.5 in appearance. You can see the pics on our webpage. One of the reasons we went with parsley, however, is that, while more labor intensive, it is a very straightforward way of making a box and getting consistent results. It has not markedly improved our results from that first competition, but at least in my mind I like the product better. We do not go through an entire case a comp (although I am not sure how much parsley is in a case). I think, and I could be wrong as it is my wife who does this, that we use about two bunches per box and each one costs usually between $1-$1.50. Considering what one spends on everything else to turn a box in, I don't think an extra $12 is a big deal. But that is probably just me.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

It is a ritual with Brian and I. We start working on boxes, and I B##ch the whole time that I hate doing them. We always end with; I hate to lose a point because it did not have parcely.

In my CBJ class Ed even stated, do you to have it, the rules say no. However, it has become almost expected that you do.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I'm like you Michelle, I can't bring myself to pay for all that parsley. Up in Tryon NC this past weekend I bought 6 heads of green leaf lettuce and that was it. Out of all my appearance scores I got (12) 9's, (10) 8's, and (2) 7's. Honestly I was pretty disappointed with those scores - there was no reason for there to be anything less than a 9 given. I don't mean that in a boastful way, but I am my own toughest critic and know a kick-a$$ box when I see it. It really has me rethinking my presentation for the next 3 KCBS contests I have this summer. If I can find that KCBS-like program that lets you put in score and gives you a total, I'll run it with all 9's for appearance and see what happens. I have a feeling it would have moved me from 5th to RGC.

Rub I understand your frustration, but (12) 9's is nothing to get wrapped around the axle about. That's pretty darn awesome. If my math is correct, moving those (10) 8's to 9's will only net you 10*.5714 or 5.7 points. If you lost GC by < 6 pts then I understand focusing on the appearance. Personally, I've been trying to focus on getting my taste scores from 8's to 9's....now that is where the points can be found.

Basically, if you run the numbers...if you can get 9's in taste and tenderness, then you can get 5's in appearance and still score around 168 for the entry. After all, it is still a meat contest.....(sort of)
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Garnish, whether parsley or lettuce is anathema to me when I compete.

But when I judge, I honestly strive very hard to focus on the meats as per the KCBS criteria.

Granted, it all makes for or is supposed to enhance and help the appearance, but I don't think I would ever judge down or up based on garnish alone on round one.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
I think I am one of the last holdouts who simply refuses to go through an entire case of parsley for 4 boxes.
I typically split a case bewtween 2-3 teams and even with a 1/3 of a case it more than enough to do 4 boxes and is very economical. I think a case from restaurant depot is about $20 so split 3 ways is cheaper than 6 heads of lettuce
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote