The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
BubbaBones
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Help - Whole Strip Loin, how to cook it

I have some 5 pound strip loins in the freezer and was thinking of cooking them up, how should I do it?

Normally I would slice them up into NY steaks but really do not want to do that this time.

Thinking of cooking them up like a roast. Should I roast them at 300-350 or slow cook them at 200-250.

Input much appreciated.
BubbaBones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Ron_L

I don't think I've ever done a whole strip loin. I guess i would treat it like a boneless rib roast and cook it at 275 - 300 until it hit 125 internal then let it rest. It will creep up to 130 - 135 after resting.

You didn't mention what you were cooking it in, so YMMV

Also, a trick that I learned from Stuart, the president of Cookshack. If you can, try to hold the roast in a 140 degree oven after it comes off of the grill/smoker. He holds his prime rib for up to 6 hours and it gives the juices in the roast time to minglle throughout the meat and the flavor is great.

Now, of course, as I mentioned, I've never done a whole strip loin, so I may be way off! I'm sure others will chime in.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Ron's advice is good here [again]
That is the way I do strip loin roasts [and ribeye roasts too]

The holding in a 140 degree oven is cool, but my oven will not go below 170 degrees, and that is way too hot