The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I hate burnt ends

I have the same hate for burnt ends that QueinKC Jeff has for chicken, although my hate for chicken is not far behind. I rarely turn in burnt ends cause they usually suck. They are always to chewy. Any cooking tips appreciated.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

A1 injection

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I actually dont seem to have the time to make burnt ends at comps, at home I take and seperate the flat and point when done, re-season and cook for just about forever or until dead what ever comes first.

Unread 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think the burnt ends were the only saving grace we had last year for our brisket....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I think the burnt ends were the only saving grace we had last year for our brisket....
Thanks for the tip, I am sure it will come in handy

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Do you wrap? Baste? Inject? Marinade? What kind of Beef do you use? Fat side up down? I guess they should be a little chewy due to the extra amount of bark, but not tough at all.

To me good burnt ends are one of the greatest culinary creations in the history of humankind.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I actually dont seem to have the time to make burnt ends at comps, at home I take and seperate the flat and point when done, re-season and cook for just about forever or until dead what ever comes first.
Do you cook hot and fast? Since I have never cooked this way I wouldn't know, but I have never had to separate the point and flat and re-cook to get it where I want it.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Hmm...to each their own i guess. I can't imagine not liking them. Maybe you should just send all your burnt ends to me. On second thought, scratch that idea. It could be that I wouldn't like them either!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Do you wrap? Baste? Inject? Marinade? What kind of Beef do you use? Fat side up down? I guess they should be a little chewy due to the extra amount of bark, but not tough at all.

To me good burnt ends are one of the greatest culinary creations in the history of humankind.
I do wrap, I do inject, i use choice briskets typically from RD, I cook fat side down. After I separate falt and point , Flat in cooler then point back (still wrapped) on and leaveit on all morning of turn in . I then cube and put some rub or sauce or both and put in a pan and back on cooker bout and hour before turn in

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Thanks for the tip, I am sure it will come in handy
Sorry Sled.... Smart a$$ mod...

I split my brisket before I cook it... When I remove the flat, I chunk up the point, add some additional rub, add a sweet sauce, and put it back into the cooker until turn-in stiring every hour except for the last hour (I want at least one side well browned from the sugar...

The extra couple of hours, while the brisket is sitting in the cooler, seems to tenderize them nicely...

One thing to remember, don't cut the cubes any larger than an inch to an inch and a half or they'll never get done in time....

Hope this helps....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I do wrap, I do inject, i use choice briskets typically from RD, I cook fat side down. After I separate falt and point , Flat in cooler then point back on and leaveit on all morning of turn in . I then cube and put some rub or sauce or both and put in a pan and back on cooker.
So this is to re-bark the point so to speak? It could be that the point is getting over-cooked when it goes back on the cooker. I cooler both at the same time and only separate at turn-in.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
So this is to re-bark the point so to speak? It could be that the point is getting over-cooked when it goes back on the cooker. I cooler both at the same time and only separate at turn-in.
Not to rebark, to try to make them more tender but they never do come out that way. They are always tough.

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done it both ways - separate then cook for a few hours, then cube, sauce, etc. I've also done it where I rest the whole brisket together and make burnt ends right before turn-in. IMO, it depends on how you trim your brisket to begin with. If you trim agressively and throw the point on for another couple hours, you'll overcook them.

I don't consider what I turn in to be a true burnt end, but rather a cube of brisket.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

After I seperate the flat and point, I trim the point up really good. If it is cooked ot the proper degree of doneness at this point (for my stuff anyway), then this will be fairly easy to do, however, if not done enough, that fat will be hard to remove from the point. I like to remove the fat, chop up the point, then sprinkle with rub and back in the cooker. I find trimmed meat is less chewy and more palatable in my opinion.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
After I seperate the flat and point, I trim the point up really good. If it is cooked ot the proper degree of doneness at this point (for my stuff anyway), then this will be fairly easy to do, however, if not done enough, that fat will be hard to remove from the point. I like to remove the fat, chop up the point, then sprinkle with rub and back in the cooker. I find trimmed meat is less chewy and more palatable in my opinion.
For how long?