UDS Smoked Salmon...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I finally got to play with my UDS and smoke some Sockeye Salmon today.:p I did a four hour simple brine and smoked it on the UDS III @ 200-220 with Comp K and Alderwood. The large fillet is Copper River...:p I smoked it a little dry (on purpose) to an internal of 160 so it would flake well for salads! All I need now is Swamprb's recipe for smoked salmon fettuccine.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

Thanks for checkin' out my salmon...:biggrin:

JD that looks awesome? If you don't mind me asking what was the simple brine?

I don't mind at all bro...:p

1 quart hot water...
1 quart cold water...
1/2 cup kosher salt...
1/2 cup granulated sugar...

Dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water...then add the cold...then add the salmon. Easy peasy...:p

Also JD, how long did you smoke it, I was brought 2 WHOLE Copper river salmon just yesterday... I would reall like to know all the details if you would care to share. This is one smoke I would really hate to mess up.

Thanks

Nice JD, I got a Copper River at Costco ($6 and change per # for whole fish) I'm throwing on today.

Also JD, how long did you smoke it, I was brought 2 WHOLE Copper river salmon just yesterday... I would reall like to know all the details if you would care to share. This is one smoke I would really hate to mess up.

Thanks

I brined about 4 lbs for 4-5 hours...rinsed in cold water...pat dry with paper towels...air dry on a wire rack for 1-2 hours until the pellicle forms...smoke @ 200 for 1 1/2 -2 hours depending on how dry you want your fish. It's fully cooked at an internal temp of 145 but I pulled mine @ 160. We wanted it a bit drier so as to use in salads and sauces. Good Luck with your smoke! :p

Nice JD, I got a Copper River at Costco ($6 and change per # for whole fish) I'm throwing on today.

Whoa...6 bucks for CR...I paid 8.99 at the Woodinville Costco...where did you go?

nice salmon! where'd you get the alder? :biggrin:

Alder and Blackberry are the two prodominant weeds of the pacific NW. They are everywhere and almost impossible to get rid of.

Ya got that right...:p

i know. i've been there. JD sent me a box of alder :biggrin:

Plenty more where that came from...:p Oh chit...I've got to get Dr. KY's box out to him...sorry doc...I'm on it! :icon_blush:

Plenty more where that came from...:p Oh chit...I've got to get Dr. KY's box out to him...sorry doc...I'm on it! :icon_blush:

and here i thought you sent me some because you loved me! i'm crushed :roll:

and here i thought you sent me some because you loved me! i'm crushed :roll:

Dude...cheer up...you're still my main man crush...:twisted: Just ask my wife...Rick does this...Rick does that...blah...blah...blah...:roll:

:lol::lol::lol:...

Now that is a load of salmon. I can taste it from here.

Salmon looks very tasty. I have been meaning to give it a try on the uds.

Just thought I'd throw this out for you. This is my friends favorite way of devouring my smoked salmon.

Smoked Salmon Dip:

4 ounces smoked salmon
1/4 med. onion chopped
1/2tsp. lemon juice
1/4tsp. pepper
1 pkg. cream cheese at room temp.
small shot of milk to loosen just a bit

Mix up, refrigerate overnight if possible, but not mandatory
Serve on crackers

Back