ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
nicerackbbqteam
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

i just got an Email to do a Birthday party for 40-45 people.. i ask her what is her budget and she said between $10-12pp... so i replied back with

1apptizer(fresh fruit platter)
2meats- pulled pork and chicken thighs
2 sides- POTATO SALAD (Chef Recipe)
BBQ baked beans
Garlic French Bread
for only $12.50 the $.50 is a trip charge pp because she live 1hr away from me and gas is going up we drive V8s baby haha...

so any tips on how should i fallow up on this?
....i gave her my number to call but she hasn't so i am just wondering if we are just being mystery shopped because she only contacted me by email

Thank you guys for all your help

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
mtrammel
Found some matches.

If you're permits/local laws allow... Smoke for free at Church functions, retail sidewalk sales, car/cycle dealerships, chamber of commerce meetings, lions club functions, any where that business folks or families needing cooks would hang out. Offer flyers /cards with each serving that include what size party you can support. Worked for a friend I've learned from. He also got deals with local BBQ shops that did not cater to refer people to him and he gave the owner an incentive to do so. He no longer is able to do that as he's working jobs full time now.
mtrammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #33
nicerackbbqteam

we are working on a Church lead right now

Unread 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #34
cjcullom
Got Wood.

There is a great article in the WSJ about people that have taken their show on the road. "Roach Coaches" as I knew them when growing up on the jobsite. They use twitter and facebook to let followers know where they will be. They serve everything imaginable and have a good following from the article. You need to check local food service laws and HD criteria to cover your "butt".
I scanned over your menu a couple of pages back and have some suggestions. A line item on a menu or quote is also a sales pitch...dress it up a little. Words like succulent, delicious, decadent, etc. invoke a response in the brain releasing endorphins therefore making the reader salivate(hopefully). Be descriptive but be careful of foreign terms..ex. My wife served "scallops of veal" last night and a carryout customer called to complain there were no scallops in there dish; She ran the customer some scallops and took the chance to educate the customer on the term(French in origin and accurate) Also, look for a local food critic to feed and pitch them to do an article for you...this yield amazing results! Good luck to you,
Rooster
cjcullom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #35
nicerackbbqteam

The "Rolling Grease Pit" is i good idea but we are just starting out and trying to build Capital by "trying" to land Catering Gigs.. but! thats a great idea on useing those Keys words im a goin to redesign my Menu and Post it back up

Hey! thank you soo much every one on this site is AWESOME!

Unread 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
nicerackbbqteam

WE! booked our First Event for 45 people this Saturday.. we landed it by using ALL of your Tips and Advice!!

thank you Guys!!

Unread 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicerackbbqteam View Post
WE! booked our First Event for 45 people this Saturday.. we landed it by using ALL of your Tips and Advice!!

thank you Guys!!
Congrats. Now just underpromise and overdeliver and you're there!
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #38
nicerackbbqteam

SO we did our Frist Catering gig today ...it went smooth i just hoped she like our food

Unread 06-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #39
cjcullom
Got Wood.

If they did not like your food you probably would have heard about it. Try giving your customers "feedback" cards....just a simple postcard with a few questions and comment box. This shows the customer that you really do care about their experience, whether they fill it out or not. Congrats on the gig, many more to ya!
cjcullom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #40
nicerackbbqteam

HEy! thanks man i feel good about it and i will do that and send a post card ...i might just have some made up
and thank you

Unread 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #41
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats ... now you get to pay taxes on your profits!

Unread 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
nicerackbbqteam

We just a a call for another gig in August 7th its for 75 people BUT here is the catch she wants like 3-5 hot lunch samples so my question is "to charge or not to charge" for the samples

Here is her Menu
3meats
Baby backs, Tri-tips, Chicken thighs(boneless)
sides
potato salad
chille beans
garlic bread
fruit try

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #43
Cahusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicerackbbqteam View Post
HEy! thanks man i feel good about it and i will do that and send a post card ...i might just have some made up
and thank you
Im not a caterer but am the Director of Sales & Marketing for a medium sized company (I also stayed at Holiday Inn last night). ALWAYS follow up with a phone call and get feedback from your client. You will learn a lot from what they tell you. Also, I would suggest ALWAYS asking potential clients who contact you where they heard about you. This will give you an idea of which of your marketing strategies are working.
Cahusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #44
nicerackbbqteam

i just sent her an email to ask her on her experience with us... i would post her Feedback

Unread 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #45
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm coming in late on this one but you might try to do some charity events. Having your name associated with a charity when they do a press release is never a bad thing. Also, have you considered doing competition BBQ? Do comps where they have People's Choice and you get to sell samples to the public. I just got a call yesterday from a couple who tasted our food at Stagecoach and want us to do a party for them.

Just a suggestion...

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is online now   Reply With Quote