MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
nicerackbbqteam
On the road to being a farker

Default I need some Markting help,Tips and Advice

We just started out in the BBQ Business and we have been cooking for friends and family for like 10 years and we are both Culinary Graduates

we just started to post our Flyer on Craigslist.com for free... we are getting calls but no one is booking there party and our prices are very competitive for our area
Starting around $13pp... 1apatizer 1meat 2sides &a bread and FREE Hot dogs for the Kids! and we don't Charge for "on site Cookin".. SO im asking for any help, advice or tips from my fellow BBQ Brothers
nicerackbbqteam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicerackbbqteam View Post
Starting around $13pp... 1apatizer 1meat 2sides &a bread and FREE Hot dogs for the Kids! and we don't Charge for "on site Cookin".. SO im asking for any help, advice or tips from my fellow BBQ Brothers
I'd say your on the high side.....but you ARE in Cali.

Maybe BBS or Neil can chime in.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
nicerackbbqteam

yeah we are from San jose, Ca The BaY Area
i also just want to add that we cook ALL of our Side Fresh NO#10can of beans here lol

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
CB

Hook up with some businesses you know or a real estate agent that specializes in commercial real estate. Tell them you will cook for their grand opening or special customer party or their favorite charity - donating the time if they pay for the cost of the meat.

The best advertising you can get when starting out is for people to sample your food. If it's great - you'll get business. If it's not making them happy - you'll know that too!
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill
CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
nthole
Babbling Farker

I would definitely be trying to get out and actually do some real life sampling more than just Craigslist. People don't get a feel for the product through Craigslist. If you can setup on a street somewhere, outside of some event, or even host some sort of event somewhere and advertise the heck out of it. Gotta make a connection with people more than just through the internet.

After that, might need to drop price a bit or give some sort of incentive (read coupon) to get people to try you. Word of mouth through experience will be your best advertising if you are working purely local.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Got a website? Pics and references on a website make things happen quicker.
Word of mouth is a great resource as well.

I did a human resource faire for free for 3 years (free samples), this helped get my name out to corporate entities.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

thanks for the tip BBS!, so just call the covention center and ask?

btw, that is a great website, if I needed a catering job done in L.A, your website provided all details, and reviews to top that, and not loaded with fluff
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
nicerackbbqteam

I just want to take this time to THANK you guys for all the Tips, and advice just keep them coming!

Thank you

Old 05-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
nicerackbbqteam

My wife is planing a Garage sale next week..My Team and i are Planing to set up and pass out FREE BBQ to whom ever comes by and we are going to pass out our New Flyers and Contact Info... Then the next week do the same thing at my Brothers house and my Cousins House.... Will that be a good Idea??

Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
AZScott
Take a breath!

Are the people coming to the garage sale your target customer? If not, it's a bad idea in my opinion. There are quite a few companies that would be more than willing to at least cover the food cost and have you cook for an event for them. Another idea is local charity events that will have a bunch of businesses there. Something like a contractors golf tournament or something similar.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Are there any farmer's markets near you that you could do? That might help spread the word.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
nicerackbbqteam

You know what i think there's a Farmers Market in San Jose.. i need to look into that
HEY! thanks for the TIP

Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
MattCom
Take a breath!

If you plan to give some away, I've always thought a local firehouse could be a good place to sponsor a dinner. These guys have job$, days off and in my experience they like to party.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P01Shooter View Post
Are the people coming to the garage sale your target customer? If not, it's a bad idea in my opinion.
I'd question the benefit of the garage sale freebies.. Most of the people who routinely visit yard sales are looking for bargains.. Chances are if they are looking to save cash at your yard sale, the would not be likely to spend $ on a catered event.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
nicerackbbqteam

that is true but im talking about people just sampling our food....plus the last time we had a "Garbage sale lol" we made $300 and we dident even put up sighs we just put our junk out