The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Cardiac, I meant to ask you earlier, what kind of wood do you currently have available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
Pecan, wild cherry, apple, and and all the hickory I could ever hope to use
Well you adopt me? LOL
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Well you adopt me? LOL
I've seen your food pron, Of course I'll adopt you! I get tired of doing all the cookin round here anyway!
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

We're very blessed here in TN on wood selection, for sure. Try peach or pear sometime, too, if you can find it, and musacadine vines with coal work well, too. I'm a hickory guy, myself, tho I am partial to applewood with birds. Like others here, I am getting lazier as I age, and so I started recently cheating with charcoal to start, then firing hickory the rest of the way.

My Alabama BBQ mentor soaks cured wood in water for a few hours (up to a day) before use. Helps keep it smoking and not flaring.

Unread 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
My Alabama BBQ mentor soaks cured wood in water for a few hours (up to a day) before use. Helps keep it smoking and not flaring.
You sure we are talking about stick burning here? The whole idea of preheating wood on a stick burner is because you WANT it to burst into flame right away instead of smoldering, this helps prevent the formation of creosote. You are going to get plenty of smoke flavor anyway just burning wood, don't know why you'd want to soak anything. Just my humble opinion.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Well you adopt me? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
I've seen your food pron, Of course I'll adopt you! I get tired of doing all the cookin round here anyway!
Thanks, it's nice to be wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
We're very blessed here in TN on wood selection, for sure. Try peach or pear sometime, too, if you can find it, and musacadine vines with coal work well, too. I'm a hickory guy, myself, tho I am partial to applewood with birds. Like others here, I am getting lazier as I age, and so I started recently cheating with charcoal to start, then firing hickory the rest of the way.

Quote:
You sure we are talking about stick burning here? The whole idea of preheating wood on a stick burner is because you WANT it to burst into flame right away instead of smoldering, this helps prevent the formation of creosote. You are going to get plenty of smoke flavor anyway just burning wood, don't know why you'd want to soak anything. Just my humble opinion.
I agree. I really try to keep my wood dry to avoid the dreaded white smoke syndrom!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Fastball
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, last thing you want in a stickburner is wet wood.......bitter bark is sure to follow.
Homemade Cabinet Smoker..AKA "The Contraption"...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
J&R Mfg Combo Broiler w/ Rotisserie
Weber 22.5 kettle
Char-Broil Gasser
Old Beat-up Off-brand Kettle Grill
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

yer pretty close to me(just across the border north of you)lots of good wood here on my back 40 too but no pecan do you have pecan there ?

Unread 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
jocosa
Full Fledged Farker

Craigslist is also a good place to find wood - sometimes free, all depends if you want to pay or not. We've picked up free firewood on CL for the past two years, and it's all been stuff I can use to smoke with - red and white oak, hickory, occasionally pecan and maple.

Unread 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #24
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
yer pretty close to me(just across the border north of you)lots of good wood here on my back 40 too but no pecan do you have pecan there ?
Its a funny story about the pecan. I was called out to a house one day on a medical call and driving up the drive to the house I noticed the neighbor had a farking HUGE tree down and somewhat cut up that sat on the property line. Bringing the patient out of the house the guy remarked he was glad that (expletive) tree was down because he was tired of mowing over pecan shells in his yard. I took a mental note and came back the next day and asked the homeowner if there was any chance I could get a few pieces of the pecan tree. She told me to take all I want, someone had come last month and started cutting the tree for firewood and quit, never showed back up. So I backed the ol' pickup truck to it and loaded down the bed. I have about 1/2 rick or cord ,depending where your from, of seasoned pecan ready to go. They are not plentiful here, just here and there so I was lucky to score this one.

Just to reiderate, I'll still get a smoky flavor even with the wood burning cleanly?
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Oh yes, all wood. Until my last two smokes, I had never cooked with anything but all wood. He'd start the fire with seasoned wood, let it burn down while preheating the smoker, lay a few wet sticks on top, let it puff while open, toss on the meat, and close it up. He'd do the same with green apple wood over seasoned hickory or cherry. Man, I miss those days. Some good eating was done.

Unread 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
durfdaddy
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a baby off-set smoker and a big off set with a 6'x3' cooking surface. I love to use the big one but it eats the wood way too fast so I don't use it unless I'm doing lots of food. With the small one I use as much wood as charcoal. I have found that the charcoal helps keep it from spiking and I use much less charcoal as well. Just put a small piece of wood on the hot coals and keep the vent almost closed. You'll probably need to add another stick before the charcoal dies away. Then, once the charcoal is almost gone add some on top of the stick to help keep it from flaming up. You'll get plenty of smoke.
durfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote