oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
akarpf
Got Wood.

Question Baby Back Ribs ( Help )

Hey , Guys I'm looking for a little help, i'm doing a pork butt and i'm going to do a rack of bb ribs. But i have not cooked bb ribs before and last weekend i did some beef back ribs and i had to feed them to the dogs!!! do i need to do the 3-2-1 method or 2-2-1?
akarpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Baby backs....2-2-1, or a variation of that....I'm more of a 3-1-.45 myself, but that's me knowing my cooker.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I leave them out of foil until they're the color I like, which can vary, but around 3 hours. Then I foil for about an hour, until they're close to done, then unfoil to finish. I usually allot about 5 hours for babybacks.

This way, I like the look of them a lot more than just letting them get really dark.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I wouldn't have BBs in foil for 2 hours, you'll literally end up with meat falling off the bones. Some people like that, but a lot of people also consider that overcooked. I'd go 2 hours smoke, then an hour foil, then finish up back on smoke till they are where you want them. If you find that is still a little overcooked for you, cut back to 30 minutes foil next time you smoke them. It's really up to you and how you like your ribs.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm

Last edited by Saiko; 05-24-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

what smoker and temps are you cooking?

example, I run a pellet cooker at 275, I put my ribs in for a hour, flip them the next hour, then stick them in a foil pan covered in foil about 30 minutes(if they seem doing well) to 45 minutes with apple juice, and let them dry back up intill the ribs almost break in the middle, they are done.

BGE XL
Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2 one for sale!
Traeger 124 (older american made model)for sale!

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

im with smokin mike we shoot for 250... foil ribs add apple juice unwrap and firm back up and we get allmost fall off the bone ribs after I sauce them and there just as good the next day after reheatin ..