The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
KaBudokan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up with a packer at about 11 lbs. and what will end up being a 7 lb. butt.

As far as the charcoal, I have briquette (Kingsford) and lump (Cowboy). I'm thinking I may go with the Kingsford, because I've heard the Cowboy can burn hot, and my only test run was with Kingsford, so my tiny bit of experience with the UDS was with the briquettes, and I may want to just keep it simple.

Also, from what I've seen, I don't need to soak the hickory chunks, right? How many chunks should I mix in with the charcoal?

When I smoked on the gas grill, I ended up going through about 10 chunks, and they had been soaked. Of course, those were in a metal pan directly over the gas heat source...

(I have been reading a lot, so I'm trying not to be lazy, but sometimes it's easier to just ask. )
KaBudokan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

What did your UDS settle at temp wise during your seasoning run?
My new one likes 250 so I let it run there. Also how many cooking grates do you have, one or two? With one you should be okay with the briskie and one butt. I have never had brisket or butts take as long on the UDS as they did on my old offset. But I would start early get a bit of shuteye once the temp gets stable and that should allow you time for the meat to rest in a cooler, which is pretty important IMHO. Have fun.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
KaBudokan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It was trying to maintain it at 225 on the side of the grate, but it was creeping up a bit - mostly seemed to hover around 250 on the side. This was with just one nipple open. One cooking grate about 23.5" above the charcoal grate.
KaBudokan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

If the junks are fist sized I would use 5 or 6, for me hickory can get a bit over powering. And no, don't soak them.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #20
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Hot & fast is how I roll with brisket in a UDS. With butts thrown into the mix be careful about having too much fat dripping on the coals. That flavor can go from a good thing to a bad thing very quickly. If you smell a heavy dose of burning fat, put them in an aluminum pan, or double wrap them in HD foil.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote