喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

i'll let the box go for now...no rush.. but the gasket is an issue. So the felt one is not the way to go... what the hell is this nomex we speak of and where do i get it. ?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
MilitantSquatter

Just call Vitale and ask them to order it for you or call BGE cust service..

Fred's BBQ and Music also sells the NOMEX gasket as well as a combo deal with the 3M glue

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/NOME...genmgkhdxl.htm

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/NOME...mgkhdxl-77.htm
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

I think your problem is you didnt get the pellet poopin egg
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
shell steak is another name for strip steak... The side of a porterhouse that is not the tenderloin.

OH!!!! A NY strip

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i got an extra gasket with the egg.. is that NOMEX.? it looks like felt.. comes in a roll.
NOMEX comes in a roll and it is white, it most likely will come in 2 piece, mine did but I have the XL. I thought this would be a problem but it has held up fine. I just offset each piece so the ends were not at the same location. Call BGE and ask them for it, well worth the couple day wait. All the Prep work to remove the old gasket and clean the surface is a job you only want to do once! BGE should send it out free of charge. I really do not understand why they still use the felt with all the complaints.

Also, I would report the cracked firebox now, why wait. I would also suggest getting the Gasket on a separate order as warranty parts such as the Ceramic's are usually sent along with another order to save shipping costs. Depending on when the dealer has an order coming in, it could be awhile.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Last edited by Midnight Smoke; 05-16-2009 at 12:26 AM..
Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #21
swamprb

Get a new firebox and don't even bother with any felt gaskets from the dealer. I'll be calling CS Monday for Nomex gaskets for mine. I cooked with a cracked firebox on my old used Large for a couple years and the bottom eventually cracked. I bought new for the warranty.

I will say that Big Green Egg has stood by their cookers and have really taken care of me.
As for my local dealer, one of the salepersons inferred that I was a whiner when I brought up the issues I was having -I'm not sure if it costs them or not-but I will never spend another dime in that joint!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeast420 View Post
Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???

I have had this discussion with the Grand Imperial Poobah, and tried to edgeumacate him on the ways of the Midwest, but alas, I too have failed in my quest.

Now I would understand if he called it a NY strip, because, after all, that's where he lives. But no, he calls it a farking Shell steak. Where the fark do you buy them...at a farking Shell station???
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
worf
Knows what a fatty is.

I have heard that the ceramic is guarenteed for life. Will they replace it forever if it cracks? I am thinking about getting one myself.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Get a new firebox and don't even bother with any felt gaskets from the dealer. I'll be calling CS Monday for Nomex gaskets for mine. I cooked with a cracked firebox on my old used Large for a couple years and the bottom eventually cracked. I bought new for the warranty.

I will say that Big Green Egg has stood by their cookers and have really taken care of me.
As for my local dealer, one of the salepersons inferred that I was a whiner when I brought up the issues I was having -I'm not sure if it costs them or not-but I will never spend another dime in that joint!
Wow...I'm sorry to hear that bro. I've always had pretty good service from "They who shall not be mentioned". I wonder if HE was having a bad day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worf View Post
I have heard that the ceramic is guarenteed for life. Will they replace it forever if it cracks? I am thinking about getting one myself.
It is...BGE sent Brian a new bottom for his old one just a few days ago. You'll never have any worries about warranty from BGE...those guys are awesome.

Poob...I think I would have the box replaced as soon as you can...it may have been a contributing factor as to why Brian's bottom cracked.
MAK 3 Star General...one smoker to rule them all!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
liquorman
Knows what a fatty is.

Shell Is a top sirloin

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home

Fred

Winston Churchill:

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
liquorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
liquorman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeast420 View Post
Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???
Beef Loin Flat Bone Sirloin Steak
Beef loin flat bone sirloin steak, also called beef loin sirloin steak, contains the top sirloin and tenderloin muscles. The hip bone is long and flat. It is usually prepared by broiling, grilling, panbroiling, or panfrying.
Beef Loin Shell Sirloin Steak

Beef loin shell sirloin steak is similar to other beef loin sirloin steak, but with the tenderloin muscle removed. It is usually prepared by broiling, grilling, panbroiling, or panfrying.

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home

Fred

Winston Churchill:

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
liquorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Now I would understand if he called it a NY strip, because, after all, that's where he lives. But no, he calls it a farking Shell steak. Where the fark do you buy them...at a farking Shell station???
They are only sold in bags of 5 or 6 called a "Sleeve of Shells"

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #28
Que-Dawg
is One Chatty Farker

I have only had my egg for a few months now and when I got mine the dealer told me to watch close cause there was word about some bad clay that several parts may have got out of the factory. This is just going by what my dealer told me. So far mine has been fine the gasket on the other hand needs replaced though.
Good luck

Old 05-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post

I have had this discussion with the Grand Imperial Poobah, and tried to edgeumacate him on the ways of the Midwest, but alas, I too have failed in my quest.

My Shell Station never hear of them,WTF
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
tjv
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My med has a cracked firebox. No telling how long it was cracked before that.
LOL, about two years,

You might give it a go on a low and slow test before jumping through hoops to change the gasket. My large leaked like this for almost a year before I changed it. t
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, bge gasket