The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4
Default Egg Woes... but amazing steaks.

ok, after 5-7 cooks on the egg, tonight was steak night. Had the butcher cut me four, 1 - 1/4 inch shell steaks. Steaks got some s&p, garlic and lawrys. Then into a 700 degree egg. Had the egg loaded with bge lump and some mesquite. 4 minutes on each side, with all dampers open, then flipped once more and closed the damers, pulled at 135. While flipping the steaks, I notice a big crack in the firebox. The Egg is fine, just the inside firebox is cracked, right across one of the air holes. I noticed a small hairline crack last week, but this hot cook blew it apart.

Awesome steaks.. everyone noticed the difference from doing it on the kettle. The steaks were glistening on the outside when i pulled them off.. This thing is definatley a steak machine...

Went out afterwards to cleqn up. See that the felt gasket is also burned off in several places. So tomorrow will replace the gasket and I'll call about the firebox..not to concerned about it, just dont think it should crack after less than a dozen uses.. probably was hairlined when i got it and dint notice it. the gasket was a bit misaligned and maybe that caused them...

so to our Sr eggers... how long should these gaskets last, and even though i was warned that fireboxes eventually crack, should it happen this quick???

like i said. not concerned.. the important part is the steaks were great.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Wow!...that was quick...I've not heard of a firebox going that quick. I'm sure Rick, Wayne, or Swamprb will chime in here shortly. I agree with you...the BGE is a steak machine! As I type I've got mine fired up with a couple of spuds...then gonna toss some on some NY Strips.

Gaskets come and go...so far mine is fine...even after a few 600 degree plus pizza burns.

How about a couple of steak pics...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills

Last edited by JD McGee; 05-15-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: ...can't type for chit...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Midnight Smoke

Make sure you get the NOMEX Gasket. BGE should send you one for free. Clean the surfaces very, very good before installing the new gasket. Sorry to hear about the firebox!

Be sure to use the Dollar Bill test after you get the new gasket installed, hot spots could cause gasket failure as well.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
BBQchef33

Steaks are gone, but i can get a picture of the crack. :)

really was one of the best steaks i ever made.,.. same old recipe.. this thing just cooks different than the kettle.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
Make sure you get the NOMEX Gasket. BGE should send you one for free. Clean the surfaces very, very good before installing the new gasket. Sorry to hear about the firebox!

i got an extra gasket with the egg.. is that NOMEX.? it looks like felt.. comes in a roll.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Steaks are gone, but i can get a picture of the crack. :)

really was one of the best steaks i ever made.,.. same old recipe.. this thing just cooks different than the kettle.
Uhh..no thanks...I'll pass on the pic of your crack Poob...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

That sucks Phil... Maybe proof that dumping hot coal in coal ceramic is not best ?

The extra gasket that comes with the BGE is not NOMEX just the traditional felt gasket. 3M Super 77 Glue is recommended

SmokinGuitarPlayer has an entertaining video on his site on how to replace the gasket

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/474.htm

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeast420 View Post
Excuse me.......

When the tenderloin strip has been removed from the short loin, the remaining meat is known as a shell steak. Shell steaks are called by a variety of names, such as strip, New York strip and Kansas City strip. Ideal for one person, these steaks can be cut in any thickness you wish, usually from 1 to 2 1/2 inches.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeast420 View Post
Excuse me.......

shell steak is another name for strip steak... The side of a porterhouse that is not the tenderloin.

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
pinghacker
Knows what a fatty is.

700 degrees. I will need an Egg, after the wife gets over the UDS.
pinghacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Phil - note that in the video above the adhesive is applied only on the ceramic.. Above the video is a note that is might be recommeded to apply to the backside of the NOMEX gasket as well as the ceramic.

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
thillin

My med has a cracked firebox. I've been cooking on it that way for 15 months. It's my steak grilling egg. No telling how long it was cracked before that. Goes from the intake opening and streatches to 2 air holes. I have a new firebox in the box up in the attic. I'll use it when the firebox completely breaks and i can't put the pieces back together. I've seen pics of fireboxes that are in 5 pieces, but still perform.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinghacker View Post
700 degrees. I will need an Egg, after the wife gets over the UDS.
They'll get higher. But the factory thermo only goes to 750.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

I have a five year old gasket on one of my Eggs. Or what's left of a gasket. Mine has just worn out. Under normal circumstances, their life is based on your cooking habits. The exception is this recent discovery of a batch of bad gaskets. I've heard both good and not-so-good stories of how this issue has been resolved. I think in all honesty, I remember the not-so-good ones more that the good ones. But there are bound to be more good stories. It's kind of like getting atta-boy's all year long....then along comes one oh-chit and wipes all of them out, that's what you remember. If you have a spare, that's a good sign that your dealer was looking out for you. Play like it's a flat tire and change it.

A cracked firebox can happen at any time. Cracks love to propagate toward a hole, or between holes.....so your failure is a routine one. Don't take the firebox out or anything, just take a photo and have your dealer order a replacement (or they might give you one from the store). You can keep cooking with a cracked one. Some folks will continue to use the cracked one for quite some time.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, bge gasket