The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Your Blooper and blunders, here's mine!

I made some mistakes while BBQ'ing but these really were some big ones. Almost to big. Thought I'd share.
1st mistake was caused by charcoal chimney starter, you might notice the round burnt mark on my deck rail. I always used a cake pan between my deck & chimney, it acted as a good barrier, but this time I spaced it off and turned it upside down, thus burn railing.
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...ret/dad017.jpg

2nd. I thought all my coals were out, so I dumped them in the empty charcoal bag. About an hour later my daughter said my deck was on fire, she was right
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...ret/dad016.jpg

My smoker is no longer on my deck, this was all done in my first year of learning how to Q.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Could have been worse, I had a neighbor that lost half his house when a grease fire started in an unattended grill on their covered deck.

Sometimes when I think I get too paranoid I see things like your deck railing and then I feel better about my paranoia. Safety first.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Cooked burgers on my gasser, and neglected to clean it over the summer. By september I was cooking some steaks, so i cranked it up, and after about 10 min, noticed black smoke coming out. I then made the smart decision to open the whole thing up and take a gander, and the air hit the fire and whoosh, we had a huge mushroom cloud. Our guests showed up and mentioned they noticed a black cloud like something was on fire. We all got a laugh, but the black soot on the wall of my house, made me lean a great lesson.

That is my blooper. Well, other than dropping meat on the ground.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
jjbbqcompany.com
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

My biggest cooking related blunder has to do with a lousy memory...

I work in a production bakery as a station relief baker. This means I relieve others on their days off. Once while being the mixer, I had about 300 lbs of flour and lesser quantities of sugar, salt, yeast, pro cal, extenda life, etc., etc., in a 600 pound capacity mixing bowl. I wheeled the bowl over to the automated water dispenser and programed it to dispense 122 pounds of water, twice! (I actually forgot I had put the water in, and put the water in a second time without checking the bowl. Dumb, really dumb!) With that much water I had soup, not dough; So the long and the short of it is that I ended up tossing out a soupy 500+ pound batch of crap...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Normally I keep my screw ups quite and act like they never happened. But this one was pretty dumb. We were having a block party and we were doing the cooking as usual. Plans changed last minute and the party was moving to our house. Well I started cleaning. Normally I never get distracted when i have a fire going, we have small children and dogs so i am always watching. So I was mowing the lawn, weeding, hosing down the yard and house, screaming at kids and dogs, I was busy! Well in my running around I added some wood to my fire and cleaned out some of the ash from fire box. I went back to what I was doing and in the middle of working I grabbed the tin bucket and threw it in the trash can. About 20 minutes later I hear a knock at the door, There stands a 10 year old girl telling me my backyard is on fire. I laugh and tell her no we are smoking food and its just smoke from the cooker. She shouts "NO I SEE FLAMES". I look out the side window and sure as sh*t she sees flames. Me and my wife run to the hoses and send a friend for the fire extinguisher. We lost all three cans and spent all weekend trying to get melted plastic out of concrete. All and all nobody got hurt no damage that could not be fixed, lesson learned and food turned out great and everyone had a good laugh at my expense.
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

It always seem's funnier when it happens to someone else.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
Grocery Pig
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Several years ago I pulled one of the classics... Something I thought that I'd never do! I put way too much oil in a pot that I was preparing to fry french-fries in. And like a dummy, I lowered that basket of fries in and WHOOM! Trite story... except... Did I have a Fire-extinguisher; a pail of sand at hand? Of course not! I didn't think of a box of salt... too little anyway... Pot was on fire and so was the underside of the old uncleaned electric range's top, so this was big fire! I did have a solution that immediately came to mind... I could prevent having my knotty pine paneled kitchen wrapped in flames... and as quickly as I thought of it, I executed... I grabbed that pan of Dirty Cat litter and smothered the fire! ...and bought a new stove the following day...
Grocery Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Competition Blunder:
Decided to try a new chicken marinade at the comp in Salisbury MD a few weeks back. It was a Goya Mojo marinade. Well, the marinade has a lot of citrus, lemon and lime and marinated it overnight. Of course my head was cloudy and woozy from the night before, so when I took it out of the marinade the next morning, I found that the citrus had partially cooked the chicken. It had to go in the smoker anyway. That chicken was the WORST ever. It was rubbery, dry and TART. UGGHHHHH

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Luckily I have never burned anything or set anything on fire. Except for some occasional food that is. I have some bloopers and blunders about food, but not equipment (thankfully).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Your lucky the wife allows you back into the house at night. My guess that there are a couple of new chores that have been added to you honey do list!!!
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
MattCom
Take a breath!

Just tear the deck down and burn it... enough suspense already :)

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

My worst blunder was vegetarian MOINK balls..............

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That pic is worth a thousand words for sure!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Here is our big one:

Andy KILLED my grill! ( 1 2 3)

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Some good storys.
Heres mine. 2 years ago I cooked some food on our gas grill that is connected to a natural gas line "came with the house" and left it on for over a week. It sure was clean and my gas bill has never higher. Im lucky it didnt melt.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote