עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #31
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have what I deem to be a successful BBQ vending and catering business in addition to my career. My wife essentially runs the catering business in that she doesn't have a "real" job. I'm so freaking tired of it right now, I'd kill for 2 consecutive days off. Write me a check and the whole ball of wax is yours........
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #32
cjcullom
Got Wood.

Serving food needs to be a passion first and a business second! One must have a tolerance for the public(especially the bitchy ones) and not mind spending 8-14 hours on your feet.
Know your region and what people like in that area. I hail from Va. and a "country" ham is a standard at many meals there but now live outside of Philly and most people here have never heard of it. Here, cheesesteaks and pretzels rule, but there can be a niche that works, you just have to find and market it.
Also, make sure your immediate family is on board! I am a restaurant widower(about 7 days a week) and have been for a decade; I knew the deal when I married but some days it is tough.
Lastly, never trust your purveyors...if you dont shop them weekly your pricing will always start to creep up. Reviewing your receipts also keeps you aware of seasonal market trends.
There is a couple of cents of info and feel free to pm me if I can help with any other food biz ??? The best of luck to you if you do start up and remember passion is the key....to most things!!
cjcullom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

BTW - Food is a passion as cjcullom states. My whole family is on board with the plan, but it's like being a dairy farmer (i grew up on a beef operation) and the cows need milked every day x2.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #34
farklf
Take a breath!

I'm on in. Couldn't keep doing the 6 hour commute each way on weekends. Don't want to program computers anymore. Joining a taco stand to do work with them for HD reasons. I'll get my feet wet and go from there. I hear a little voice saying' Get in where you fit in'. I will give it all I got and will be smart about. Got enough to allow the wife to let me try it.

I got figure what it will take for me to make 100$ a day. I know if this works . me and the taco owner gonna have to talk! I have no agreement with him now and he has no financial obligation at the moment. he will propotion and add sides and price adjust as he see's fit. He will be paying me a % + cost of all products. We'll see. I could use some advice on BBQ and such. But not my programming loss because this is a new season and I am all in. Can't go back to that job and don't want to leave my wife anymore and she can't go because of her family is here.

So, Here i go!!
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #35
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Good luck!!!!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #36
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
yes, note my signature line.
i haven't read the whole thread, but, if the sig line is serious jump on this.

barbefunkoramaque had some serious skills. i'm sure his disciple pitmaster t learned a few things from him....

never ate his Q, but made his recipes, and they are G. U. D.!

shoulda maybe read the date at least!

but, good luck my friend! ask away, this community is always there to help!

and keep sharing your experience to help others.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 05-05-2011 at 09:05 PM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #37
Dyce51
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by farklf View Post
I'm on in. Couldn't keep doing the 6 hour commute each way on weekends. Don't want to program computers anymore. Joining a taco stand to do work with them for HD reasons. I'll get my feet wet and go from there. I hear a little voice saying' Get in where you fit in'. I will give it all I got and will be smart about. Got enough to allow the wife to let me try it.

I got figure what it will take for me to make 100$ a day. I know if this works . me and the taco owner gonna have to talk! I have no agreement with him now and he has no financial obligation at the moment. he will propotion and add sides and price adjust as he see's fit. He will be paying me a % + cost of all products. We'll see. I could use some advice on BBQ and such. But not my programming loss because this is a new season and I am all in. Can't go back to that job and don't want to leave my wife anymore and she can't go because of her family is here.

So, Here i go!!

Good Luck To You!!!!! I hope it all works out well for you!!!!
Dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #38
Panther5150

Been there myself. Had a small restraunt with my wife at one point and it can be difficult at best. Remember unless you have a load of cash to blow, which you will if your not careful, YOU are responsible for everything. That means being there every day, starting early and finishing late.
Unless you really love the business you will probably find that within six months you will either love it or hate it. The other aspect is cash. How much do you have to start, how much do you have to pay YOUR bills while the business makes little money.
On the up side if you love it and you have a good product and price you probably will do fine. Just be aware of the old saying: The best way to make a large amount of money into a small amount of money is to open a restraunt.
Be prepared for the initial investment also. I think we spent about $5000.00 in City, state and county fees, inspections, LLC, insurance, rent etc... the list goes on and on.
Good Luck
Brinkman gas smoker
Weber Kettle
Panther5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #39
Sammy
Found some matches.

Panther5150 "I think we spent about $5000.00 in City, state and county fees, inspections, LLC, insurance, rent etc... the list goes on and on."

This is the problem with any small biz, very heart breakin
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
Bama Q

Downloads: 2

You are in a hard spot, Catering is a great bus., getting the reparation and in with the company's that spend the bucks. Takes time, You will spend a lot of time selling your self and product. Don't be the cheapest, sell Quality and service. Don't run out of food. the Big boss like a little something to take home, Find your allies, take care of them
Good luck
Big Jim
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote