American Royal Open Spaces

SmokeMeTender

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is there anyone who will not be attending the American Royal this year in Lot B that is willing to give us your space for a year? We would like to request a "D" or "B" space in lot "B". This is our first year.

Any info is appreciated!:-D

Is there anyone who will not be attending the American Royal this year in Lot B that is willing to give us your space for a year? We would like to request a "D" or "B" space in lot "B". This is our first year.

Any info is appreciated!:-D

Ditto!

I believe in order for a previous team to give you there spot, you'd have to cook under their name. Although, I'm sure theirs ways around this.

This will be our 3rd year cooking the AM, we requested Lot B for the first time this year. Not a big deal if we don't get it, but it would be nice.

I think though that one might have a easier time requesting/getting a specific spot if they know the previous team will not be there. (?)

Possibly, but I thought I read that teams with more seniority would have priority over new teams for space assignments. Honestly, that task has to be a logistical nightmare - dealing with 500 teams and trying to accommodate their wishes.

Possibly, but I thought I read that teams with more seniority would have priority over new teams for space assignments. Honestly, that task has to be a logistical nightmare - dealing with 500 teams and trying to accommodate their wishes.

No doubt! :shock: It also seems that a lot of people want to be in Lot B.

Btw--What is this "dark side" I have been hearing so much about? Sounds scary!

It's not scary - I think it's a lot of fun.

I believe the difference is that the majority of teams in Lot B are there with the intent to seriously BBQ, fun second. The dark side is the reverse for a number of teams - fun first ... BBQ ranks as just one of the activities to do. Friday night on the darkside will have parties going past midnight, but Saturday nights seem pretty calm - basically like any other competition.

Last year, we set up a projector screen for the MU/NU game and probably had a few hundred people watching it - lots of teams down from our row. It was a very peaceful night for as far as we could hear - no blow out parties. Sure their was some music going on til midnight or so, but Friday pretty much takes the steam out of most of the people over there.

The major reason we requested Lot B was due to the size of our trailer this year. On the dark side, teams start showing on on Wednesday so they can start constructing their spot - I saw a team bring pallets of landscaping bricks to build a wall, all kinds of fencing as used for corporate parties over there. Looks great, but hard to navigate around with a long trailer. Thankfully, Vern got there early enough with his 5th wheel on Thursday that he didn't have to turn through a maze like I did later Thursday afternoon with the 6x12.

Any more spot request tips for a first time team? Do we need straw bales that I see available on the entry form? We cook out of a toy hauler and have an EZ-Up...I assume the bales are to keep poeple out of your spot?

Vacated spots are filled on a first come first serve basis. The best way to get in the B lot is to get your app in NOW.

Any more spot request tips for a first time team? Do we need straw bales that I see available on the entry form? We cook out of a toy hauler and have an EZ-Up...I assume the bales are to keep poeple out of your spot?

You got a GC this year right? I believe you get into Lot B if you wish (assuming the turnover accommodates this year's first time GC's).
Bales are not necessary. But a few can be nice incase you get something nasty running your direction.

I am not sure the bales of hay are enough unless stacked to at least 5 feet. I think armed security may be required to protect your brisket. Just ask Scottie Cancersuckschicago.com.

Maybe you should bring some prickly weed to adorn the top of your smoker.

The spot across from us and next to Lotta Bull is open, I believe. Don't know the number, but look at the map from 2008. Get your app in!!!

Yes, the Key to getting a spot you want is to have your app in when they start their work, Anyone else requesting a spot before you with thier app in, will have a shot at it first. Also -- feel free to expound on specifics in the "comments" section. If you have multiple options you would like, write it all out. They read those comments and take them into account as they lay out the sites.

Anyone returning, has to have their entry in by mid-july, or risk loosing thier spot as well.
All those spots will start to get assigned at that point. They will cut our old site up into 3 or 4, so hopefully they stick a few folks back there that pay late, and move us a little closer.

We had the second biggest site out there for the last couple years.... all the way back in the point on the darkside. It was just too far, when you are cooking both contests, and hosting a party as well. We are trying to move this year as well. I got my entry in early, so hopefully that does me some good.

Yes, the Key to getting a spot you want is to have your app in when they start their work, Anyone else requesting a spot before you with thier app in, will have a shot at it first. Also -- feel free to expound on specifics in the "comments" section. If you have multiple options you would like, write it all out. They read those comments and take them into account as they lay out the sites.

Anyone returning, has to have their entry in by mid-july, or risk loosing thier spot as well.
All those spots will start to get assigned at that point. They will cut our old site up into 3 or 4, so hopefully they stick a few folks back there that pay late, and move us a little closer.

We had the second biggest site out there for the last couple years.... all the way back in the point on the darkside. It was just too far, when you are cooking both contests, and hosting a party as well. We are trying to move this year as well. I got my entry in early, so hopefully that does me some good.

Remember that Lot B has a quiet time of midnight. You'll have to have the boys and girls under control by then.

Remember that Lot B has a quiet time of midnight. You'll have to have the boys and girls under control by then.

Todd... you are assuming that Andy can control his folks at his party. Thats a pretty BIG assumption...:lol::lol::lol:

You got a GC this year right? I believe you get into Lot B if you wish (assuming the turnover accommodates this year's first time GC's).
Bales are not necessary. But a few can be nice incase you get something nasty running your direction.

Yep, we got one last weekend...good to know on the lot assignments...I think I will put the spot across from Todd down and lot B in the others and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody know when the applications go out for the invitational? When I send it in, can I request a spot at that point?

I think it depends on whether or not you want to cook the open...if you want to cook the open it looks to me like you better have your application in by July 17th.

This is from the AR website

Q. SPACE ASSIGNMENTS - How are space assignments determined?
A. The American Royal Barbecue's contest results are not affected by the space location of the contestants. Over the 29-year history of the event, teams located in various parts of all lots have won the contest.
The Space Assignment Committee consists of a group of experienced volunteers who meet on nights and weekends to assign spaces to the teams. We realize that teams have competed and entertained from the same space for many years. Therefore, if you want to guarantee being assigned the same space as last year, you must have your application received by the American Royal office by 5:00 pm on July 17. The deadline for all Open Contest applications is August 14 at 5:00 pm.
Priority:
1. Applications received by July 17: all returning teams requesting their same space will be placed.
2. Applications received by July 17: all returning teams requesting a new space will be placed. If returning team #2 enters by July 17 and requests a new space which is not available because that space's returning team wants it again and has submitted their request on time or if the space is not available because returning team #1 requested it before returning team #2, returning team #2 has first call on their old space.
3. Applications received by July 17: new teams will be placed
4. Applications received after July 17: automatically go in order of date received and will be placed
An online map will be available in August to direct guests to your team locations.
Note: A midnight quiet time will be enforced in Lot B during the entire event. If you plan to party past this time, please sign up for a space in Lots A, C, D or North. Certain Lot B spaces not requested by returning teams by July 17 will be held for Invitational contestants.

Back