MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinajs View Post
ok.. I know this thread is killing me but damn interested.. Again the question is can you wrap with the butcher paper and then put it back on the smoker or you only use it when you finally take the brisket off.. Inquiring minds would like to know.
The Extreme BBQ recipe has you wrap it with butcher paper and then put it back in for the last 5 hours. I haven't heard anyone else say the same thing and haven't tried butcher paper at all yet.

Hope someone hops in and clears this up.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #47
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Put the brisket, butt or ribs back on the smoker.
When I did the ribs I used the 3-2-1 method and the ribs cooked in the paper for 2 hours.
Same with the brisket, I wrapped in paper when it hit 165 and put back on the smoker until it hit 195-200.

I don't recall where I bought my roll of paper, I know it was online and will have to search a bit to find out. More on that later.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #48
jazzspot
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Put the brisket, butt or ribs back on the smoker.
When I did the ribs I used the 3-2-1 method and the ribs cooked in the paper for 2 hours.
Same with the brisket, I wrapped in paper when it hit 165 and put back on the smoker until it hit 195-200.
And this was done in one of your drums, without any burning of the paper due to cooking directly over the charcoal?
Exceptionally Accurate and Fast Red Thermapen
[/FONT]
jazzspot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #49
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I think one of you Central Texas Brothers ought to go on over to Lockhart or Taylor to specifically check out the butcher paper usage. Ask some questions like where do they get it? do they use it to wrap while cooking ever? or to hold? Do they use a liner to keep it from wicking like they seem to do at Luling City Market?

I know this is a lot to ask, but someone has to do it.

I just didn't pay enough attention to that aspect when I was there.
I could swear we have been over this already.

ANSWERS ARE

Pink
A local paper products distributor
yes (some do)
yes
a wax paper barrier is used at times

Now foil can cause Alzheimers from the heavy metals interacting with the food and salt.

I will warn... that your results will vary from temp style to temp style and pit to pit. All the people that use this technique for cooking after the stall are what you call in the hot and fast category. In addition, aside from keeping the meat from mushing up and ruining the bark, most of the benefits are going to be economic and convenience... like the fried chicken place that writes its orders on the same paper bag they dump your order in.
One thing I did not tell you was that foil can cause Alzheimer from the heavy metals interacting with the food and salt.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #50
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I could swear we have been over this already.

ANSWERS ARE

Pink
A local paper products distributor
yes (some do)
yes
a wax paper barrier is used at times

Now foil can cause Alzheimers from the heavy metals interacting with the food and salt.

I will warn... that your results will vary from temp style to temp style and pit to pit. All the people that use this technique for cooking after the stall are what you call in the hot and fast category. In addition, aside from keeping the meat from mushing up and ruining the bark, most of the benefits are going to be economic and convenience... like the fried chicken place that writes its orders on the same paper bag they dump your order in.
One thing I did not tell you was that foil can cause Alzheimer from the heavy metals interacting with the food and salt.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #51
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Jazzspot, yes this was done on my UDS. No the paper did not catch fire. Did a little google research and it seems the flashpoint for paper to burn is Fahrenheit 451, just like the books title.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
jazzspot

Quote:
Hey Jazzspot, yes this was done on my UDS. No the paper did not catch fire. Did a little google research and it seems the flashpoint for paper to burn is Fahrenheit 451, just like the books title.
Big thanks Jerry!! That clears up the questions that I had whether I can use the paper wrapping process in my drum. I just need to remember to double-wrap the meat.
Exceptionally Accurate and Fast Red Thermapen
[/FONT]
jazzspot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #53
Fastball
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
ooouuuhhh, there's a little bit of science for ya.....and a cool sci-fi reference. See the stuff you can learn at this place....
Homemade Cabinet Smoker..AKA "The Contraption"...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
J&R Mfg Combo Broiler w/ Rotisserie
Weber 22.5 kettle
Char-Broil Gasser
Old Beat-up Off-brand Kettle Grill
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #54
grindstaff3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Hey Paul, thanks now I don't feel so bad about knowing nothing about this subject. Memphis in May coming up soon bro? You and your lovely bride ready for a party down there?
This is the first I've ever heard about it. Ya, we are excited. We are going to go visit a team that is nice enough to let us behind the tables. That will be a blast. We are ready to relax a bit as well.
grindstaff3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #55
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

i got a big ole roll that has been sitting in my garage for 11 years

i am gonna give it a shot on my next smokes
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #56
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Great, now I have to go get a brisket this week and try this stuff out. I love this site, why I haven't spent more time here is beyond me. Awesome stuff guys.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #57
jestridge

I just check the price it cheap compare to foil . I'm going to try it Brown paper poke (bag) work great to rest your meat in or keep warm in a cooler
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #58
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Let us know how it turns out for you. I really liked the results with brisket.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #59
CircleW

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Okay, I am not saying butcher paper is better, just different.

There are several reasons some use paper.

Paper can be both a wrapping for the brisket to rest, smoke when its stalled to quicken the pace (like foil) but you don't have to worry about mushing up your well defined bark as much. There should be no liquids used.... the brisket has enough in it at stall. Plus anyone cooking the brisket at its zenith of tenderness and that is concerned with OVERCOOKING might prefer paper over foil. I am not saying foil will overcook... thats more up to the cook, but you have to fret about it less because there's less of a seal.

Paper is better to wrap in to rest and cool because there is no reaction to the meat (like when the meat eats through the foil, which can leaches aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers)

I used paper sacks because I had 300 at one time. great until you try and retrieve one and it falls through. Butcher paper won't do that as much.
Foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers.

I also like it because I can grab one without pads or gloves.
Whereas foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers

Butcher paper also is a great serving platform. So if you have it around (ITS WAY CHEAPER) it works out well.

Basically it steams less but still confines the heat in the paper (depending on how tight you wrap it [wrap once with folds up, then again with folds down and the meat resting on it to close it]. You can even fold it a bit like foil. Only thing is foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers.
Now that's funny

-SS UDS-
Super, super fast YELLOW Thermapen!
Stoker
CircleW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #60
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I was just sitting here chewing on a piece of aluminum foil, wondering about the risk of getting a paper cut from red butchers paper and having the red dye leach into my bloodstream. Should I be concerned?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Butcher Paper, foil, pink butcher paper, Red Butcher Paper, wrapping