ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Got Beef ?? ........"1946 Blend"

In my search for a source for a high end custom beef blend similar to the La Frieda blend sold to NYC restaurants, I have purchased 10 lbs of the "1946 Blend". It's a combo of Kobe brisket, prime aged angus rib cap, boneless short rib and an Angus chuck base,

Through the efforts of Motoeric, it was introduced at Williepalooza who got a local meat purveyor/wholesaler to sponsor and provide their new product to the competitors for the burger category. Currently not available at the retail level. I only got to try a tiny piece that day so I wanted to experiment more.

So... Gonna get the BGE fired up this weekend and try to test these at different temps and thicknesses. I think 10 lb over the course of a few cooks will help me decide if I like it.

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-06-2009 at 06:25 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Vinny I really like the sound of this. Would not mind trying it myself. I have never seen anything like that before
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Westexbbq

Wow, that blend is even older than I am!
Good luck Vinny and enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
BobBrisket

I think it's a very bad idea.........................cause I'm not there to help taste test. Damn, that stuff looks really good. I bet those burgers are going to be dripping with flavor. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I am glad that someone has the grit to test that beef out. Thanks for volunteering to take one the team.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

I have to say that we were not impressed by the 1946 blend at WP2009. It was great that Eric got it going and it's only our opinion.

The meat is real coarse and does not have a lot of extra flavor. It didn't taste bad but I was hoping for a real big difference from my normal 80/20 ground beef burgers. We only put a bit of chipotle adobo in it and Lowry's on the outside. I was thinking it would be real juicy cooked to MR but it was not.

I have had ground prime burgers and they were much better as a premium meat burger. I would have thought the Kobe component would have added a significant flavor but it did not.

We cooked up 3 burgers for the turn-in but could not get them done enough (our fault) so we passed and ate them. I think we might have been the only folks who actually ate the meat!!

Let us know what you think.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

I cooked one pound tonight.. nothing on it but fire, cheese, ketchup and a Martin's potato bun.

Were they the best burgers I've ever had ? Probably not but I can't recall what I think the best burger is . I do think they were well above average though. Definitely a coarse grind, but I found them to be very flavorful,moist/juicy (notice the juice in the first pic). They did cook down a bit.

Next time, I will try only making two burgers out of the pound package. I think with this type of beef, a larger, thicker burger would be best to retain juices and flavor. I'll also try different temps. I forsee a topping of some Dizzy Raising the Steaks rub on it with the cheese, lettuce & tomato.

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-06-2009 at 06:26 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Westexbbq

Great looking Vinny and I am sure nice tasting;
Brian and I had a lot of fun cooking our version at WP 2009;
agree the thicker burger is worth the try.
but I enjoyed the small bit I had.
(Hey we had to test it a bit....)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good Vinny!
We didn't taste any of the beef at Williepalooza either, so I'll be following your tests closely. Keep the pron coming.
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team - www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

looks like a higher percentage of fat in the package, is it about 25/75?

how about a "1946" fattie with a whole pound?

i use dp raising the steaks on angus burgers and flat irons at vinny's
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Not sure what the ratio is...but I'd bet 75/25 is close..

Here's the write-up..

INTRODUCING OUR ALL NEW "1946 BLEND"

MAIN STREET WHOLESALE MEATS ANNOUNCES PROPRIETARY UPSCALE “1946 BLEND”

Main Street Wholesale Meats has entered the premium chopped meat market with a proprietary product called “Main Street’s 1946 Blend.” The rich, luxurious blend combines Kobe Brisket, Prime Aged Angus Rib Cap and Boneless Short Ribs with an Angus Chuck base. The “1946” in the name of the product refers to the year the company was founded by Julius Seelig. The company is now run by the founder’s son Kent Seelig and grandsons Jeffrey Feiner and Lee Seelig.
“My father Julius was the inspiration for this recipe,” said Kent Seelig. “When he was still alive, we would work endlessly on the perfect hamburger blend. Now, as our business has grown to service upscale restaurants and country clubs, we’ve developed this premium product for those who demand it. While our regular blend is fantastic, this 1946 Blend takes it to the next level.”
Main Street’s 1946 Blend is produced to order on a daily basis. The product is run through a coarse blade so that it does not get too delicate. The Kobe Brisket adds a sturdy beefy flavor to the mixture, the Boneless Short Ribs contribute a lush texture while the Prime Aged Rib Cap meat enhances the richness and juiciness of the product.
Main Street’s 1946 Blend is already featured at several restaurants, most notably by Executive Chef Kevin Penner whose East Hampton, NY restaurants include 1770 House, Citta Nuova and East Hampton Point. Chef Penner was instrumental in helping to develop and test the final formula.

Unread 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting. I've just started grinding my own meat from brisket points and other cuts and am not sure what a lot of that adds other than hype but would like to try a pound sometime.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Norcoredneck

Are we talking 60 year old hunk of meat?

Is it enhanced?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

**off topic**

I'll take a serving of the top one

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

! dolly just ain't natural !

are you still going to waldorf to get that XL?
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote