The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
aswoboda
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Whole hog help?????

Alright brothers, I know this is a large time consuming question but I need some help! My fellow rugby players are coming over for a BBQ and pool party on aug 13 and I have no idea what I'm doing. Would someone be able to give me a step by step tutorial on how to cook a beautiful little piggy??? I don't know temps, how to prepare, how long to cook, best way to serve, I need the whole nine yards!! I know this is a lot to ask for since most of us are browsing at work but I would be very thankful, happy 4th of July
aswoboda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out this site along with some others:
http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

1. How many people?
2. What do you have to cook a pit on?
3. If no cooker can you build a block pit like in the link?

Good luck. Cooking a whole hog the first time is intimidating.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Tackleberry
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Do you have a Pit large enough to fit a whole hog? What weight of hog are you getting? I just did a wedding last sat for 200 and that hog was 150 hanging wt. I ran it N Carolina style for 20hrs @ 220 (Open chest cavity side down for the first 4hrs then rolled it on it's back where I put a mix of rub, apple juice and apple cider vinager) I was using a 250 Gal homemade offset and I ran a 2:1 ratio of hickory to cherry along with Royal Oak lump and briq.

Good luck :) " I love the smell of hog fat @ 4am"

Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
aswoboda
Knows what a fatty is.

I was planning on renting a whole hog pit from a butcher up here, probably gonna do a 60 to 80 lbs hog, I only have 50 ppl so I think that would be easy enough, but I'm unsure on how to do it. Some people score the whole pig, some people stuff them, I don't know how to even cut it up when it's done to serve
aswoboda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
chad

Around here most butterfly the pig. Start it cavity down for a few hours then flip to the skin side.
It's definitely worth injecting and rubbing. Get under the skin on the hams and shoulders with run. Get lots of injection deep into the pig, shoulders, hams, loins, etc.
Read the link I sent. Those guys cook a lot of hogs. You can use their prep methods even if you cook in a hog cooker.

Good luck.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I cook a lot of whole hogs. For 50 people I would get about a 75 pound pig. The general rule is 1.5 pounds dressed out weight per person. What type of pit is the one you are renting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswoboda View Post
I was planning on renting a whole hog pit from a butcher up here, probably gonna do a 60 to 80 lbs hog, I only have 50 ppl so I think that would be easy enough, but I'm unsure on how to do it. Some people score the whole pig, some people stuff them, I don't know how to even cut it up when it's done to serve

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

If you don't want to rent or have a pit then check out Cowgirls method. She knows what she's doin.
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ck-pit_19.html
Good luck let us know how it went and post some pics.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
jestridge

concrete block and rebar, but if you never done a whole pig, might want to consider pork butt
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
BBQ_MAFIA

Here is a link to another thread that might be of some help.
There are a few pics in the thread that I put up which might be fun to look at.

Good luck.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...oil#post944390

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswoboda View Post
You're in the right range. Assuming the butcher preps the hog with the spine sawed so the pig will rest splayed out, and the pit is big enough, you're in shape (can separate the two halves and cook side by side too). There will be a lot of advice given, but honestly you can't mess this up.

Plan to cook it at 325* (no higher) for around 8 hrs minimum. No, that isn't a formula, just years of amazement that any hog I cook seems to take about that long. A lot of folks will cook skin up for a while, and then flip roughly half way thru. You want to end meat side up for serving.

It really doesn't matter what you put on the meat - rubs, basting sauces, etc. it will turn out delicious from the smoke. Salt and pepper can't be beat. You can experiment with whatever you like - just don't put a lot of sugar on it as it may caramelize too much (burn).

Let folks learn about the parts of the hog - a pig pickin', by having them serve themselves. You can pull parts, chop parts, slice parts (keep an eye out for that tenderloin), and have dipping sauces available on the side.

Trust me, if you go long it won't hurt, so give yourself plenty of time. Hungry people waiting on a 80 lb. hunk of meat to cook can get ugly...

Think of the things that go well with pork for your basting (every 30 min. or so), finishing (30 min to an hour before it's done), or dipping sauce. The usual vinegar, spices, soy, etc. but also ginger and other exotics from other cultures.

Good luck and send us pics!

-ralph
CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

It's amazing how the Carolina boys have all the right answers. ;)

I too suggest cooking at 300-325. That's the traditional way to do it.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote