New York State Firewood Regulations

trohrs123

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Recieved this e-mail forwarded by Dmitry from the Lake Placid competition.
Has anyone else recieved and if so thoughts?

"Subject: NY firewood regulations

Hello,

I received your email address from this website
http://www.ilbbqf.com/index.html about the Grill Competition that will be
happening at Lake Placid in July.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has recently
created new Firewood Regulations related to the transport of firewood to
reduce the spread of invasive insects that have the ability to kill millions
of trees.

I was just writing to make sure that the coordinators for this event are
aware of the regulations and are in compliance.

I have attached the regulations, a press release and a "warning strip" in
this email for you to review.
You can also find information about the regulation on our website
www.dec.ny.gov (search word: firewood) or more directly at:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/28722.html

I would also recommend that all of the participants are aware of this
regulation before they come to the event. If you would like to send them
emails with the information I have attached that would be great. I could
also supply you hard copies of these materials if you do any mailings, or
for distribution at the event.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions,

Thank you,

Emily Kurth
Firewood Outreach Coordinator
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Division of Lands & Forests- 5th Floor
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233
Office phone: 518-408-0941
Cell phone: 518-320-5033
email: eckurth@gw.dec.state.ny.us"

its a regulation that is at best, unenforcable. just another reason that NYS is the leader in useless regulation and excessive taxes. As there are no testing proceedures or labeling regulations developed or in place to go along with this new regulation it is unlikely that any burden of proof could be shown from the state proving the wood is or isnt kiln dried. I wouldnt lose any sleep over this... Sidenote.... I think Cookshack sponsered this bill !!!! LOL:p

Instead of rum runners we will now be wood runners, anyone asks me I picked up the wood just past the creek over there...lol:rolleyes: 50 miles nah maybe fifty feet, totally unenforceable...wood smuggles unite!!

MANY states have this.. its been in effect for years. We saw it posted on state lines traveling between Missouri and NY as well as heading south to TN and Fl. Its due to some wood borer. Some contests will supply wood(some free, some at a minimal cost) to out of state competitors. Use the search, its been discussed on here before how contests handle this.

I have been in touch with Dmitry at Lake Placid on this issue. The current part of the correspondence follows. They are trying to work something out for us.

Mark,
I am writing re Dmitry's instructions below. The problem is that those of us coming to the I love BBQ contest from more than 50 miles away from Lake Placid cannot bring our own wood to fire our smokers. To work within the NYS regulations, we need to buy our wood in your area. The most any of us is likely to need is 50 4"x4"x16" logs. Since no one of us needs any thing like a cord, or even a face cord, of wood, it would probably be best for the teams to set up some arrangement with someone in your area wherein we will be able to buy small amounts of wood at a reasonable price, or perhaps could pool all our orders and have one larger delivery made to the contest site, which we could then split up. Since your committee has the names and contact information of all the teams attending, as well as the advantage of knowing the local wood suppliers, I suggested to Dmitry that you folks could most easily coordinate this. We would need well seasoned oak, nut, or fruitwood, or a mix.

Brian Collins
Ma's Que Crew

>>> "Dmitry Feld" <dmitry@usaluge.org> 4/27/2009 3:17 PM >>>
Brian,
Please connect with Mark Grimmette - USA Luge Olympic medalist and KCBS certified judge. He knows much more about wood then me, he will advise you and assist your needs. Thanks. D

I would not worry about the firewood being transported from Long Island to Lake Placid, all you have to say is its been Kiln Dried, They are looking for large loads of commercial wood only, the funny part about the whole thing is it does not apply to whole logs that have been forested, go fiqure

I have been in touch with Dmitry at Lake Placid on this issue. The current part of the correspondence follows. They are trying to work something out for us.

I would not worry about the firewood being transported from Long Island to Lake Placid, all you have to say is its been Kiln Dried, They are looking for large loads of commercial wood only, the funny part about the whole thing is it does not apply to whole logs that have been forested, go fiqure

Actually Eric they are looking @ people transporting truck loads of fire wood across state lines (all those little bundles @ the gas station in winter); usually come from way out of the area possibly bringing bugs and disease with them. I have a friend in DEC enforcement locally and this was his answer for our DEC zone 3. Since this event is on the radar already it is not unlikely someone may come looking for violations.

And lest you scoff, an example of over zealous DEC enforcement I saw a few weeks ago was @ a local car race (legal on local roads in Delaware county) where the cars motor blew up and dropped it's oil. This resulted in the team and car being blocked from leaving a service area by 2 DEC enforcement people until the summons was issued and evidence collected! They have an appearance ticket for early May in town court.

The latest from Dmitry

Helloooooooo teams. For your firewood needs please contact Dana Grant at Info@Smokinlicious.com. She will assist your needs. D

Unless Smokinlicious has radically changed their price structure, this doesn't work for me.

More from my forthcoming anthology "Conversations with Dmitry". If anyone feels I am inaccurately describing the situation and the needs of the teams to Dmitry, please correct me so that he can get us all what we need. I would say that Dmitry is serious about wanting us to use local wood, as he is willing to go to some lengths to provide it.

Any or a mix of the following: Hickory, oak, cherry, apple, peach. Basically any mild fruit or nut wood. (Walnut, for example, is a bit strong for most people.)

>>> "Dmitry Feld" <dmitry@usaluge.org> 5/4/2009 3:39 PM >>>
Got it Brian, let me make few phone calls. What wood would you prefer?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 3:35 PM
To: Dmitry Feld
Subject: RE: FW: NY firewood regulations
Dmitry,
My smoker is an old-fashioned log burner. I use about 12 to 15 cubic feet of wood in a 18 hour burn. At the prices smokinlicious charges for wood
(about $50 per cubic foot), it would cost me about $600 in wood alone to do a contest. This is a bit out of my price range. We need something like a tree surgeon or a landscaper who sells firewood and is willing to drop off a face cord for maybe $150. We could split that among several teams.
Brian

In response to a PM question from another team that I forwarded to Dmitry, he says,

"I'm very serious to help teams. If it will only cost us $150 we will cover
if it's more we can talk. I will do all in my power to get firewood for the
teams. I'm not sure about Smokinlicious policies on discounts? I will keep
you posted. I'm on it now. D"

Back