The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I owe a Brother an apology...

"snoqualmiesmoker"...your charcoal basket does measure 8 inches tall...not 6 like I corrected you ...my bad bro!

I realized this when another Brethren "seattlepitboss" came by to pick up a couple of drums for his UDS build.

Good luck Grant...it was a pleasure to meet you and further the UDS craze.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

No worries, man. I could go all woodpile with my expertise on the particular measurements, but since this is a family place, I wont :)

You seem to be the go-to guy for drums in this town!

Oh, and...

NO PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
Weber Gold Genesis (Sadly, this did not come with a long keyboard solo)
1 ~ 3-year old Princess
1 ~ 1-year old Caveman
1 Chihuahua
Wife
[url]http://jimmysbigegg.blogspot.com/[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
JD McGee

A pic is worth a thousand words...crow eatin' time! This is the same expanded metal that I gave you...as you can see...it measures 8 inches...not 6...

Northwest BBQ Society
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills

Unread 04-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
A pic is worth a thousand words...crow eatin' time! This is the same expanded metal that I gave you...as you can see...it measures 8 inches...not 6...

Not that!

Where is the new drum owner! I believe your camera was out so fast, I can't believe he got missed!

By the way, where do you get that stuff. I looked all over home depot and only think I could find was for screen doors. It measured 24 X 24.
Weber Gold Genesis (Sadly, this did not come with a long keyboard solo)
1 ~ 3-year old Princess
1 ~ 1-year old Caveman
1 Chihuahua
Wife
[url]http://jimmysbigegg.blogspot.com/[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll chime in here. I have recently done a lot of steel fabrication work including some with expanded metal. You can buy expanded metal anywhere that sells steel. The easiest place to buy steel is Everett Steel, who has plants in Everett, Seattle and Woodinville. Their prices aren't real great, though.

There is a place called Grating Pacific in Tukwila that has a big shear out back. Anyplace that has a shear has a drop box. You may be able to get some action if you go around back and ask the guy on the shear if you can pick through their drop box. Remember to bring gloves. Anyway, you can buy a 4x8' sheet and have it sheared the way you want it, and just bring home pieces.

A manual bench shear does a good job on 3/4-9 expanded steel. I have a post-mounted Whitney shear with which I can whiz through the stuff. I like to trim off all the little stubbies from all sides and only work with nice clean edges.

A small slip roll will really help in making round charcoal baskets. Here's the cheapest one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36698

Expanded steel is very easy to cut with a plasma cutter as long as the plasma cutter has an interrupted cut function. It is also very easy to weld with a MIG welder loaded with smallish wire like .030".

Anyway, a big thanks to JD for my first two food-grade drums! I found out that the way the pros remove the tan antirust liner is by burning followed with blasting with fine steel shot. I have a connect down at Industrial Container Services down by the Duwamish River, the place by the south end of the 1st Avenue South Bridge in South Seattle with bazillions of drums stacked up. He told me about their method of cleaning off the liner. It may be possible for BBQers to buy drums from them in small quantity, don't know yet. I have bought drums in the past from a place on Airport Way, although I don't know if they're still in business.

I should be up and running on my first UDS very soon.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I went here for my exhaust and flat bar so I cheched the prices on expanded and it was unreal.
http://www.ashmoreandallen.co.uk/generalsteels.htm

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
I have a connect down at Industrial Container Services down by the Duwamish River, the place by the south end of the 1st Avenue South Bridge in South Seattle with bazillions of drums stacked up. He told me about their method of cleaning off the liner. It may be possible for BBQers to buy drums from them in small quantity, don't know yet.

seattlepitboss

There is a ICS in Charleston SC and it's where I got my precleaned drum. IIRC with tax it was only 32.50. There were several people there picking up 1 or 2 drums so,looks like they don't mind small quantity sales

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Midnight Smoke

I got my expanded at the Junk yard. They had full sheets (pricey) and some scrap that was enough to build 2 fire baskets and more.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoqualmiesmoker View Post
Not that!

Where is the new drum owner! I believe your camera was out so fast, I can't believe he got missed!

By the way, where do you get that stuff. I looked all over home depot and only think I could find was for screen doors. It measured 24 X 24.
Oh...THAT!... Not much time as Grant was running a bit late and needed to get back. He's not too far down the road so I'm sure we'll hook up again one day. I'd like to get a look at his stick burner that he has on his design board.

I bought the expanded metal through my work from McMaster-Carr...we order all kinds of stuff from them on a weekely basis for our test lab. I believe I paid 40.00 bucks or so for the 4ft x 4ft sheet. I just cut it up in strips on my bandsaw.
Northwest BBQ Society