oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Default First big smoke w/ the new pooper.

OK, I put the new CS-570 to work today. We're getting ready to retire the chitty digital camera in a couple of weeks when I get the wifey a digital SLR camera for her birthday. Hang with me on the carpy pics.

Started out w/ a breakfast fatty for tomorrow morning. JD Italian sausage w/ a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, some eggs, and a buttload of cheese.

I knew I was going to do a brisket overnight tonight, so I needed something to cook during the day while I worked on getting better w/ controlling the new smoker. Picked up some cheap drummies at Price Chopper. I'm out of Yardbird (working on it), so I used Gates seasoning on one side of them and KC Masterpiece on the other. Basted w/ Sweet Baby Ray's original. They were delicious, but next time I do them, I'll crank the temp up for the last part of the cook to see if I can crisp up the skin a bit more.

Now I'm on to the brisket. Injected w/ a weakened mixture of apple juice and Butchers. Rubbed w/ Bovine Bold. Here it is after an hour.

...and here it is at 6 hrs. I may or may not foil it. We'll see. I'll try to post more pics later, but we'll see how tired and stupid I am when it's done.

Finally, my 2-year old decided it would be lots of fun to pour his chocolate milk on my platesetter. So, I give you the chocolate milksetter. I'm agonna have to burn that off soon. Hmm...

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
iceman78
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking piece of meat there... I can be there in the morning for a sample!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black] 09 WSM, [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]'10 BGE Small, 08 Brinkman[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]; 93 Performer, 02 Performer, 2000 Platinum;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]79 Grey, 97 Black, 99 Black, Yellow, Simpsons, Lime Green, 94 Green;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]04 Grillware, 05 Genesis sunk in 1940s Coke machine, 11 Weber Q 200;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]Mountain Dew Can, 05 Baseball, Coleman Green, 11 Coleman Blue, 04 Coleman Roadtrip[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black], 01 Smokey Joe, 02 Smokey Joe[/COLOR][/FONT]
iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Bret thats nice. I hoped you wrapped it, I would think it would dry out if you did not!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Bring it, Iceman. If we run out, we'll make more.

Jon, I'm just now making the 'wrap it or don't' decision. I probably will.

---

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
iceman78
Full Fledged Farker

It looks good enough, I may start driving... just fixed my tranny so I can go over a few states... a good q is worth it!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black] 09 WSM, [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]'10 BGE Small, 08 Brinkman[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]; 93 Performer, 02 Performer, 2000 Platinum;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]79 Grey, 97 Black, 99 Black, Yellow, Simpsons, Lime Green, 94 Green;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]04 Grillware, 05 Genesis sunk in 1940s Coke machine, 11 Weber Q 200;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]Mountain Dew Can, 05 Baseball, Coleman Green, 11 Coleman Blue, 04 Coleman Roadtrip[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black], 01 Smokey Joe, 02 Smokey Joe[/COLOR][/FONT]
iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I think I'd be tempted to stop at Breckenridge, CO to see if there was any snow left.

---

Old 04-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

---

Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-South View Post
It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

Did you say OVEN? Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I did say oven, but only after 8+ hrs. in the smoker. I really need to get the digital board for the CS-570. It's hard to dial in a temp and keep it there w/ the floor model - especially when the temp drops outside. Plus, to do a true overnight on the thing, I think I need the hopper extender.

---

Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #10
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I've cooked on it for one day and I've already decided I need several hundred dollars worth of accessories. I'm an addict.

---

Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-South View Post
I've cooked on it for one day and I've already decided I need several hundred dollars worth of accessories. I'm an addict.
Thats freaking hilarious. You will have a FE before you know it! BTW I bet you do a competition before seasons end! You are slowly getting hooked!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Set the alarm for 4:45 a.m. Woke up at 7:00 a.m. Brisket was at 195 and probe slid in like Parkay. Rested for 2 1/2 hours, then sliced. Got a pretty decent smoke ring. Brisket is nice and moist, but I'm not sure if that comes across in the picture. I wish I'd woken up an hour earlier as it's a little "fall aparty". It tastes really good, though.

Cubed the point (what would stay in cubes anyway), tossed w/ some more Bovine Bold and some Sweet Baby Rays and now it's going back in the smoker in a foil pan w/ holes in the bottom.

---