8 pound Brisket

H

HungryHolstrom

OK Kings of Fire,

This is my first piece of beef I have ever cooked in a smoker. It is a 8 LB brisket with fat on one side. I am using a modded 'Dera to cook it on. Here are my questions.

-Should I rub it down shortly before cooking or should I season it for a longer period?

-If I follow the 1.0-1.5 Hours per pound rule when should I remove it from heat and rest it in a cooler?

Thanks a bunch farkers!

good god, tons of ways to cook it,,,,,, I would not rub it more than 1hr before cook.(way to overpowering, nothing but rub when you are done) zarda's?

what temp are you shooting for in the cook? it does make a difference

is it a flat or whole?

Is it a flat or packer. Would be small for a packer. What are you cooking on? Pics of the meat and smoker would be real helpful!!!!!

Whewwww! Too many Coors last night! Sorry for the lack of info.

I am using a NB Bandera. It works well at 250 degrees so that's what I will shoot for, unless that is wrong.

I believe the brisket is whole and trimmed, at least that's what the label says.:confused:

Thank you so much.

BBQ%20Pics%20013.jpg

BBQ%20Pics%20014.jpg

BBQ%20Pics%20015.jpg

I have a small packer to do tomorrow as well, just short of 8lbs. I think for the little fella that 1 -11/2 hours is longer than it is gonna take. I am (guessing here) approx 45 minutes is going to be closer on cook time because it is so small. Pull it between 195-200 or whenever the probe goes in like butter. Even if it is done much earlier than you want you can double wrap it in foil and put in a warm cooler with some towels. It will stay nice and hot for several hours.

I have a small packer to do tomorrow as well, just short of 8lbs. I think for the little fella that 1 -11/2 hours is longer than it is gonna take.

What is the difference between a "packer" and a "whole" brisket?

Back