The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Stiltz6ft9in
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What does it take to start a team?

I'm just wondering, what does it take to start a team? Supplies, money, # of competitions required, time involved, number of people on a team? I'm thinking I want to get into competition BBQ but I have no clue where to start. Do you start out by helping other teams? Is there some guidelines that need to be followed?
Stiltz6ft9in is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

All you need is something to cook on, a way to get it to the site, and enough money to cover the entry fee and the meat (and fuel, beer, etc.)

Seriously, I have seen one person teams up to teams with more people than I could count. Personally I think two people os the minimum, but there are a lot of folks who cook alone. You just have to be good at multitasking.

As far as equipment, you need to be able to cook at least one butt, one brisket, two or three slabs of ribs and 9 or more chicken thighs. hey are not all cooking at the same time, but you may have to juggle a bit to get everything done on time. Lots of teams cook with a couple of WSMs and do well. To me three WSMs is a good setup since you will probably want to cook a couple of butts and briskets and more ribs and chicken pieces to have more choice for turn in.

As far as money, there is an older thread on competition costs. If you factor in meat, rubs, sauces, fuel, entry fees, travel costs, etc., I think an average of $500 per competition, MOL, is a good starting point.

How to get started? i would suffest visiting a Brethren team at a comp local to you first, just to see if you are really interested. Then volunteer to help a team out so you can get a feel for the stuff that happens when the crowds aren't around (tending the pit in the middle of the night, etc.). I would also suggest becoming a CBJ and judging a few comps to get an idea of the turn ins and the quality of the food. Finally, jump on in! You can also look for backyard events near you (rib cookoffs, etc.) and try oneof those.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

See the sticky threads aboove this one that are titled "General guidelines to the Competition Forum", and "KCQuers roadmap to the competition, (aka our FAQs)"

After reading through those go through the threads and archives, a TON of information in there. After that ask any more questions you may have and people here will be more than willing to help out. Just watch out though, because once you gete bitten by the bug, your life will forever change! ;-)

Most comps are between $100 to $200 to enter for the grand championship, or $25 to 450 per meat entry. You supply the meat, spices, sauce, cooker etc and those costs obviously vary considerably.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in View Post
I'm just wondering, what does it take to start a team? Supplies, money, # of competitions required, time involved, number of people on a team? I'm thinking I want to get into competition BBQ but I have no clue where to start. Do you start out by helping other teams? Is there some guidelines that need to be followed?
Pay your $ and take your chances. This forum should have enough info to get you started if you do your research. After you've done that feel free to ask questions.

There are more than a few folks here that have won that are willing to help you. They probably won't come cook for you, but they'll give you some advice. Just remember that it's worth what you pay for it

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
chad

Hehehe! Grasshopper, you are feeling the power of the "dark side".

Assisting another team is a good way to see what a cook off weekend entails.

If you review the archives in the Competition forum you'll find many discussions of "stuff" for the first outing.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Plowboy

- Disposable income
- Strong need for affirmation from others
- Detachment from common sense
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
- Disposable income
EXACTLY!!!!

Old Dominion Smokehouse BBQ Team - [URL="http://www.olddominionsmokehouse.com"]
http://www.olddominionsmokehouse.com[/URL]

Sponsored by Central Meats -
[URL]http://www.centralmeats.com[/URL]
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Divemaster

Quote:
- Disposable income
I couldn't agree more! LOL

I think the best way to start is to pit b**ch with another team for a couple of comps and talk to the captain about how he started.

Check out the mentoring forum above and maybe start a new thread if you don't see some thing in your area.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

It's not too difficult to compete. It's rather difficult to be competitive.

Nobody says you have to enter all the categories. Our first competition, we only did pork butt & ribs.

It's my experience that most teams are simply a group of buddies that pooled their resources and had a good time.

Unread 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Skidder
Babbling Farker

If it was me I would try to find a one day grilling contest to get your feet wet or even just go to a comp and visit with the teams and ask questions like I did. I was a one man team at my 1st grilling contest and got a 2nd place trophy and three weeks later was lucky enough to nab a 1st with the help of my daughter. It's definetly easier with help. Good luck but do it, it's a ton of fun.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
carlharper
Got Wood.

You should find this blog to be an invaluable resource, informative and entertaining. Be sure to start "in the beginning"

http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/
carlharper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

More money than brains.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

The ability to cook the meats required in the competition and the means to transport all nesessary equipment to and from a competition. The food safety items like cleaners, coolers, thermometers and such to have safe food The man or woman power you deem nesessary to complete all of the above and about $1000.00 per competition you plan to enter. Your list will grow from there with all the cool play toys and gadgets. You can search for competition checklists and get an idea what everyone takes with them.

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Quote:
- Disposable income

Oh hell yes on the above from Plowboy............me and girlfriend at the time visited a little contest, bought a mobile pit and we entered a KCBS contest.

Scared to death and went up against some big guns.
Took way too much equipment but we took 3rd in chicken on our first try.

Done a few more contests and got our lunch handed to us ever since.

Might I suggest you go to the Competetion section, top of page and go to the Mentoring section, offer your services and hopefully you can hook up with a veteran team who will take you under their wings and you will get a dose of a fullblown sanctioned comp.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote