MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Default Smoking a spiral cut ham

I made the mistake of buying a spiral cut ham yesterday to smoke for Easter, rather than an uncut ham.

When smoking the spiral cut, should I cover the ham in foil to prevent it from drying out? I plan on smoking to an internal temp of 135-140*F.

I think that this will be the last time I ever grocery shop after recovering from a migraine............

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you cover it in foil, it won't know it is a smoker. Just as well put it in the oven.

Seems like smoking very long it would dry it out, so maybe do a short smoke, then into foil?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
grindstaff3
On the road to being a farker

if you wrap in foil the smoke won't get to the meat. Now, having said that, I don't know how to solve your problem. I just remember reading about foil a couple days ago. sorry
grindstaff3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wrap that bad boy in cheese cloth and keep it damp. It'll get smoke that way.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
SpammyQ
Take a breath!

Or take it back to th store and exchange it for a non-spiral ham.
UDS
and a Super Fast R E D Thermopen!!!
SpammyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Wrap that bad boy in cheese cloth and keep it damp. It'll get smoke that way.
What he said....
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
old salt
Found some matches.

We have a spiral sliced ham also. I'm figuing on pining the slices together using a few skewers, Wrap in foil leaving the top open to let the smoke in. This way you can add extra apple or pineapple juice toward the end.
old salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

I've done a couple spiral cut hams. I put them on an aluminum pie plate with the spiral cut end down. The weight compresses the cut slices together.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

I've done several spiral sliced hams. Got one in the fridge right now as a matter of fact. All I do is put it on the smoker for a coulpe hours, usually when I'm cooking something else. The ones I get are already cooked so all your doing is just adding a little smoke flavor. They always turn out real good and never dry out. It isn't in there long enough to dry out. The first slice on the outside of the big end might get a little dry but that slice is mine. Is gets super smokey. I'll put my glaze on it about 30 minutes before I take it out so it will set up a little. Never had a compliant or one dry out. Of coarse your stuck with the thickness of the slices.My dad likes the flavor but wishes he could have a thick slice.

It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm with hoosier... put it cut side down, and I've not had any problems.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
CAustin919

If you have a good quality ham I wouldn't worry about it drying out. My buddy and his dad do Dearborn spiral hams on the Weber kettle. They set it up for indirect and go low heat with some wood chips. They have been doing them at holidays for a few years now and he says they have never had any complaints.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We use spiral cut for smoking
Use the pan method
Once it is done
pull it out lay it on its side
put Texas Pepper Jelly all over that Ham
Then use your Weed Burner to Caramelize the Jelly
MAN thats good Heck of a show

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Sonic98
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCoyote View Post
I've done several spiral sliced hams. Got one in the fridge right now as a matter of fact. All I do is put it on the smoker for a coulpe hours, usually when I'm cooking something else. The ones I get are already cooked so all your doing is just adding a little smoke flavor. They always turn out real good and never dry out. It isn't in there long enough to dry out. The first slice on the outside of the big end might get a little dry but that slice is mine. Is gets super smokey. I'll put my glaze on it about 30 minutes before I take it out so it will set up a little. Never had a compliant or one dry out. Of coarse your stuck with the thickness of the slices.My dad likes the flavor but wishes he could have a thick slice.

Whoo these look good. I gotta smoke me a couple like this
Sonic98 is offline   Reply With Quote