The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoke In The Valley (PA) 5/15-16???

Anyone know about/signed up for Smoke In Da Valley being held in Green Lane, PA 5/15-16? http://www.glfcbbq.com/. It's a first year contest so just wondering what the setup might be, the area, etc. before signing up.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

nada but it sure is close enough. Too bad its not a qualifier. We could be game if you are
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

It will be our first cook-off. No idea about anything.
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
SmokeInDaEye

Hmmm. Didn't notice it isn't a state qualifier. It still looks like my only viable option between now and mid-July, though. If I can find someone to help out, I'm in.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Unread 04-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Clint, I am signed up but dont have much info. Below is an email I got from the organizer on 3/26:

Yes I did recieve your application. There are currently 13 teams signed up including you. I am expecting at least 4 more to come in at this time. The website is www.glfcbbq.com. It is our first, of hopefully many, contests. We have a DJ playing music all day on the 15th and 16th. Possible an open mic night on friday night. Little Red Rooster Blues Band is playing Saturday evening. There will be a beer Garden Fri & Sat. I am working on getting a state championship certification. Hopefully that comes through before the contest. I will be sending out the cooks and Judges packets very shortly. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

The guy seems helpful and usually responds to inquiries in a day or two. Other posts I have seen say the contest area is very nice, but I do not have any personal knowledge on the area. There is a post regarding the contest on the MABBQA forum. Hope this helps and it would be great to see you there.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I figure the open mic is enough to get SIDE to sign on the dotted line!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
I figure the open mic is enough to get SIDE to sign on the dotted line!
Damn straight! If I can't beat em with my cooking, I'll beat em with my singing! I just printed the application so am most likely on board.

Unread 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am signed up for it. Had too it is only about 5 miles from where I live. I have not been to the site but I know that the area is nice. Sites look to be a nice size. I thought that I heard that 21 teams were sigbed up as of 4/3 according to the Mid Atlantic Forum
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I am signed up for it. Had too it is only about 5 miles from where I live. I have not been to the site but I know that the area is nice. Sites look to be a nice size. I thought that I heard that 21 teams were sigbed up as of 4/3 according to the Mid Atlantic Forum
Nice! It's going to be a bit of a crazy contest since I have to leave for a wedding in California 2 days later and am most likely doing it solo. If anyone knows any good turn-in box experts willing to lend a hand, I'm paying in beer and cigars!

Unread 04-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I will be going there early in the AM to set up. Then have to go with Josh to get ready to go to my oldest sons, George, graduation from his Masters program, and then come back that night to cook. I know what you mean as hectic.
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are in we will join you. Hopefully he will get his proclamation as he will have enough teams
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

We'll be there! Heck, I live less than 10 miles away. Having one so close is a real treat.

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

SIDE,

More than willing to help. PM sent.

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I wish I could make this but I have a wedding on saturday.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Does anyone know is campers are allowed on the site?
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote