MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
jeffostroff
Found some matches.

Default Looking for thread with winning photos of turn in box

I saw the thread of photos of what not to turn in (very funny some of them), now I want to find a thread of photos of turn in boxes that were actually winners, or highy placed.

I tried the advance search, but system will not allow me to advance search. I tried the simpler Google search at the bottom of the pages, but the threads that mention an online album here on the brethren forums, those links don't work.

Even looking at some of the alleged what not to do photos, there are some which I can't tell what's wrong, never having attended a competition, but most of them are obvious even to my untrained eye.

But I'd like to see some good photos of what turn in box arrangements did work, with commentary of why it worked.
jeffostroff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=26

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
jeffostroff
Found some matches.

yes, that was a good link. If anyone else spots any other good photos especially of ribs that placed high, please post here.

I have seen photos of ribs in the turn in box where the 6 ribs are separated into a chunck of 4 ribs witn the remaining 2 ribs positioned above and below the group of 4 ribs.

Is that recommended, or is it better to keep the 6 ribs all in one continuous section?

Also, does it matter if you lay the strip of ribs diagonal across the box, should it go straight across?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
TexEx
On the road to being a farker

If you are thinking about competing in an FBA event you better read the cook team rules first. Most of the boxes you are looking at now would be DQ'd at an FBA contest. Granted they are good looking boxes but are not valid for FBA. The biggest difference between FBA and KCBS boxes is that FBA boxes have NO GARNISH. Nothing allowed in the box but the meat. No toothpicks, no foil, no garnish, no cups of sauce, etc.... After all It is a meat contest.

Also there needs to be a minimum of 8 portions not 6. Turn-in times are 1 hour apart. Good product will always do well in either organization.
If you are serious about competing in an FBA contest I would advise you to join the FBA and signup for a judges seminar. You will get a lot of good info as to what a box should or should not look like.

Ray

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
jeffostroff
Found some matches.

Hey thanks for watching my six Ray! Just don't stare at it (LOL!). I just might look into that judges trianing. I personally neve runderstood why KSBS requires garnish, or why placement in the box means anything. What if the table captain shifts the box while delivering it to the judge? Then your screwed!

I think it should only be judged on the meat and nothing else. How about a blue toothpick pierced through 3 or 4 pastel colored dinner mints, and all that stuck right on top of your rack of ribs. Now that's a presentation!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

If you're looking for threads on the pros and cons of garnish, there are multiple threads beating that horse to death. No need for more.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
thillin

[quote=jeffostroff;896120]... or why placement in the box means anything. What if the table captain shifts the box while delivering it to the judge? Then your screwed![quote]

IBCA you have to have your brisket slices and ribs must match with the box hinge with not sauce puddles. But they check that at turn in, not the table.

Here's my last comp brisket and ribs.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59205
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffostroff View Post
I personally neve runderstood why KSBS requires garnish, or why placement in the box means anything.
KCBS doesn't require garnish. You really should start by reading the published rules of the sanctioning organization handling the contest you've chosen to enter.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
swamprb

I've learned alot by just by viewing a lot of Brethren's team links, blogs etc. Another time consumer is to go to regional BBQ Associations that have team links and check out their sites. I know I've asked the same question before, as have others and the winners have worked hard and invested a ton of time and cash to give up the goods and I don't blame them. I can get decent Appearance scores and will ask for critiques and something a Brethren might point out that I missed or could have done is a good slap to the forehead, and helps me the next time.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
big brother smoke

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51099