The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default NASCAR "BBQ Shootout Series"

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=103202

Procter & Gamble and AstraZeneca's heartburn remedy -- Prilosec OTC, which sponsors driver Jeff Burton -- will also fire up a "BBQ Shootout Series" at six NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year. With portions of proceeds going to support the three-year-old NASCAR Foundation, the Shootout will feature award-winning BBQ Pit Masters from around the country competing for prize money.

<>p> Fans will have the opportunity to taste the BBQ at $10 a plate, meet Burton and other drivers, and win tickets to upcoming NASCAR races. Prilosec OTC has also teamed up with local Walmart stores to hold in-store events the Wednesday or Thursday before each Shootout. The sessions will feature cooking demonstrations, food samplings, autographs from drivers, a chance to win tickets to that weekend's race, and heartburn screenings.
Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.
NASCAR fans who can't attend the BBQ Shootouts in person can get a taste at home as Prilosec OTC has teamed with raceway owner Speedway Motorsports and Speed TV to air segments of the competitions.
Prilosec OTC's BBQ Shootouts will launch on Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway, Ft. Worth, Texas. Other locales are Richmond (Va.) International Raceway (May 2), Lowe's Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C. (May 24), Indianapolis Motor Speedway (July 26), Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (Aug. 22) and Atlanta Motor Speedway (Sept. 6).
Winners of the BBQ Shootout Series will be determined by an independent, blind-judging process that is used by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS), a non-profit that sanctions BBQ events nationwide.
GlaxoSmithKline's heartburn remedy, Tums, meanwhile, is one of the participants in another KCBS event, the second annual Great American BBQ Tour. Touching down in 25 locations through October, the tour also features Tabasco's Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Kingsford Competition Briquets, Weber Grill Creations and Scott Shop Towels. Next stop on the tour is Friday and Saturday at the Porkin' in the Park festival in Clarksville, Tenn.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...ic=11&catid=14
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...-nascarr-fans/

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

www.BBQShootoutSeries.com

Pit Masters
Competitive BBQ teams from around the country such as Lotta Bull BBQ, Wood Chicks BBQ, The Texas Rib Rangers, Great Grills O' Fire, and Rhythm 'n Que will press the level of quality BBQ higher and higher at each and every Shootout.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Who would have thought that heartburn remedies would be so eager to partner with BBQ ?

Prilosec sponsoring this event and Tums being a KCBS sponsor of the BBQ tour.

I thought this line was funny..

Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.

I guess this will boost consumption..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I got an invite, but was unable to commit.
Those guys will have fun and I wish them all luck!
Master Purveyors, Grizzly Coolers,
West Coast Offense, BBQ Guru, Butcher BBQ,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder if it'll look something like this:

I think he needs a hotter fire, there's a lot of big white smoke rollin' outta that thing!
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.
Todd, I'm not sure what was the qualifier to get invited, I even met the guy at Lakeland this year. I guess Rub can shed a little light on this for us on how they picked those that got an invite.

I would have thought my record was good enough for at least a little consideration.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd.
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd.
lol.. You may be right Finney!
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Should be interesting in Texas. Just last night I sent a bunch of Q down for some of the teams (unfortunatly Burton wasn't one of them). Maybe they'll put in a good word for me.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post

MMA is not involved in this program and very distant from any part of it.

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like a great idea to me.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
Looks like a great idea to me.