MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chicken and Ribs

Hey I'm still not that good at figuring out the amount of each meat selection I need to cook when a customer orders a two meat gig.

I have a request for ribs (spares st. luey style) and pulled chicken for 50 folks.

How many slabs and how much chicken would you figure for this gig.

Party is 90% adults who 70% of will probably want ribs, 20% chicken and 10% both.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Are you doing whole chickens or pieces? I did a gig for 125 last month and did 150 pieces of thighs and had about 25 pieces left.
WHen I do ribs I figure that 1 rack of spares will feed 2-3 people if I'm dealing out the ribs at 2-3 bones a piece depending on the rack. So if your getting your ribs from Sam's in the 3 pack, your going to need at least 6 packages if not 7 to be on the safe side.
I'm sure others will give their advice , but if it was me doing the gig this is what I would plan. Hope this helps.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Count on 10-12 bones per slab. Chix, just decide on the pieces you want to cook and what you expect each customer to consume, this goes for the ribs too.
Iffin it were me, I'd do 7 racks and chix thighs and breast (1 chix per). Of course you have discussed this with the client or have experienced them before. YMMV